Persuade plumber rehang radiator no brackets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber removed radiators so we could hack off and replaster bay window.

Wife threw away brackets.

Plumber came back in. Said it was possible to rehang radiator with universal radiator brackets. Sat in room for 30 minutes (doing not sure what) and decided didn't want job. Too fiddly measuring/difficult to get right etc etc.

What would you do in this position? Is this a likely reaction from all plumbers? What other options do I have? New rads/take up floor?

Please see photos below. There's lots of wiggle in the pipes. I imagine the plaster has moved by a few millimeters here or there because we hacked right back to brick.

I'm a complete house maintenance novice...

Many thanks

View media item 82871 View media item 82872

Sponsored Links
If he is not capable of such a simple task ,I wouldn't call him a plumber!

probably cheaper and easier to buy new radiators and reuse the brackets if identical or transfer the fitments and paint before installation

Sponsored Links
Blimey, how bigs the room ? 3 dp/dpx rads in one bay, suprised you don't get tramps kipping on the other side ;)

I can understand him being annoyed but it's not the most difficult job to sort out.

Having said that if I were called to sort it out Id probably pass unless I happened to be short of work

Thanks everyone, particularly gigz. Heh!

Sounds like I just have to persevere with plumbers.

Any idea of how many hours it might take or is that a how long is a piece of string question.

They look to be standard stelrad radiators. You should be able to get hold spares easily enough.

Yep look like standard Stelrads.

I'd be wanting to know whats under the floor looking at the pipes, they have leak all over them, hopefully wrong.

I would say no more than 2 hrs. Unless there's problems filling back up.

I was also wanting radiator brackets as the existing were lost during renovation.

Luckily I had 1 bracket but needed 7 more so I had a sample.

First place a plumbers merchants not b&poo type of place, I was told they don't supply brackets as spares because your radiators could have been stolen from a building site But I can sell you a new radiators :D .

Anyway,them universal mini brackets were used and all done.

Just supply your plumber a tape measure,a spitit leyel and a pencil, he has to bring his own common sense.

Edit,its a straight forward job as stated.

best of luck.

Some "plumbers"?? only install new systems where you hang radiators and then run pipes to them in this scenario the pipes are already there, so it is essential to accurately work out and mark the position of the brackets so that when you hang the radiators the pipes line up with the unions
it seems that not all "Plumbers" are capable of this type of installation - get a Service Engineer in, cos your's is the only type of radiator install they do! ;)

Most radiator existing pipes have a degree of vertical movement.

There is the task of fitting a radiator where the tails are cemented into the floor and there is no up/down movement at all.

That is the hardest task.

I will admit that I do not like these difficult tasks. Not because I cannot do them but because the reasonable cost is higher than people expect.

There are two stages of these. The lost brackets and lost holes and the have brackets but lost holes.

With brackets and holes its about 20 min each plus filling/bleeding.

With no holes and rather fixed pipes more like 30-40 minutes each.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back