Prox Tokens

Sponsored Links
Thanks again

The quote I have received has not explicitly outlined which galaxy control panel they will be fitting

One of the other quotes did recommend that they would fit:

A Galaxy 2/20 12 zone expandable to 20 Zone end station control unit to be fitted adjacent to the mains. The control unit will operate from the 240-volt mains supply and will contain a rechargeable battery for back-up power. The control has the following features: -

23 USER CODES
387 EVENT LOG
4x16 ALPHANUMERIC DISPLAY
BACKLIT KEYPAD
ON BOARD COMMUNICATOR
TIME & DATE DISPLAY
GROUPS 3 + 1 COMMON GROUP

I guess there is a range of galaxy control panels-can you recommend any that are particulalry reliable and user friendly, given my needs in a domestic setting? It will help me in my discussions with the alarm company

galaxy is not my favorite, but the g2-20 will be fine

oh, and if you wonder what the keypad looks like

its
rkp.jpg
but yours may not have the coloured buttons

Thanks Breezer

I appreciate this may be an impossible question to answer, but now that I have my quote (which is 789 plus vat, second year 140 plus vat) should I be pinning them down on any other questions

They have essentially said:

Install Keypads front and back door
Issue 4 fobs
Upgrade I/R sensors in 4 rooms
Upgrade vibration sensors on 2 upstairs back windows
Install motion detectors in 2 downstairs romms and upstairs hall
Maintain and monitor system for 12 months

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
upgrade from what to what? (what are they now and what do they want to fit)

i personaly dont like any "vibration detectors" on the perimiter because no matter how well adjusted if one gets hit by something or an atempted break in you cant prove thats what it was (unless you have a cmera with recording looking at each window)

does this include a connection to the police? (via an Alarm receiveing centre)

Sorry breezer, should have made myself clear
I have an existing scantronic 9100 (probably 15 years old I guess) with various PIR's and the above mentioned vibration detectors on back bedroom and bathroom windows

The price includes first year connection for monitoring (although there is an extra 40 quid to be paid direct to strathclyde police for registration)

The second year cost for maintencance and monitoring is 140

it is the pir' s i am more interested in.

what will they be "upgrading" them to?

and will they be using the existing wiring? (for that price i hope not*)

p.s will not be able to reply for a few hours got some things to do

* the galaxy monitors the resistance of a cct, (including the cables) it does not like unsoldered joints, which although you should never do, the 9100 didnt mind

They haven't said what they will upgrade them too (other than saying" upgrade the infra red motion detectors in the 4 rooms")

They also said the quote was based on the assumption that all existing wiring is in full working order !

I take it that you feel the price is excessive-the trouble is that three reputable firms have all come in with the same -ish ball park price

well if all around the same price must be the going rate for your area,

you could always get another quote for a brand new alarm, see how much that is.

you dont think alarm engineers will really test cables do you?

Thats what is now frustrating me Breezer-I thought that by having exisiting cabling in place it would be a relatively cheap job to replace the system-obviously not though

It strikes me that getting quotes for an entirely new system is going to be even more expensive ? Surely a whole new cabling will add quite a bit onto the price?

I don't think I have an enormous house by any stretch-big enough (detached 5 beds/4 public)and I just have this nagging feeling that despite getting 3 quotes, I am getting stiffed

Thanks again-really appreciate your advice

it wont take as long using existing cables, but as i said it depends on the condition of existing cables and any joints they may have.

Cheers

Is the price I have been quoted something you think may be excessive?

Breezer, yours and others helpful advice has really gnawed away at me to the point that I checked out in more detail the exsting cabling

To be honest, it looks old and tarnished in some places

So, what has really angered me is that 3 NACROSS companies have quoted me for replacing my system but only one has made reference to an assumption that all existing wiring is in working order.

And even then, the more I think about it, why should any reputable firm install a new system without recommending replacing cabling

I am really fizzing-if I can't rely on these companies, who can I rely on?

I now think that maybe I need to get two more quotes and find out what to do for the best. I'd appreciate any further advice or recommendations

its quite common not to replace or check cables, if if the quote says they will they don't because the bloke doing it doesnt have the time.

the cables wil look "tarnished" due to sunlight and age, but thatdoesnt mean they are no good.

The problem is as i said galaxy's monitor the resistance which includes the cables, if when it was origonaly installed some one made joints and did not solder them (quite common) these joints can go high resistance, galaxys have a 1k end of line resistor (and a 1k shunt) if the joint changes by 200 ohms its too much, the 9100 wouldnt worry about it.

i have seen cables that have their outer sheeth removed so they are less obtrusive this is no use since these can also cause short ccts.

My mate who is an alarm engineer used to work for a company where they would insist on one cable for one device, no matter what that device is (i.e no joints allowed)
its amazing some of the "horror storeies" he tells me, he has seen more than me.

I guess it comes down to cost. being the reasons they dont change the cables, which is why i suggest you ask for a brand new alarm (which includes cabling)
ocasionaly there are places that have 2 alarms one works the other doesnt, but the working one has all new cables and the old one is just left there.

and dont let anyone tell you a wireless alarm is good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back