proximity of gas and hot water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm sure many of you will know thissimple question.
Is there guidance on how close a hot central heating pipe can be to a gas pipe?
I'm adding another radiator. It's an old house with loads of cuts in the floor joists for vairous and past plumbing and electrics. So much so that the joists must have been weakened a bit so I don't want to make any more cuts. I don't have to if the a 15mm plastic central heating pipe can run immediately adjacent to a 22mm copper gas pipe.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cant find anything saying you cant, in the NACS domestic gas course CCN1
Instalation of Pipework and Fittings Module 5 (2003 edition), So go for it.
It would be reassuring if this 22mm pipe had a piece of yellow tape around it, saying GAS.

No problem to run them together.

This is interesting as I am about to start a project in my house where I want to reroute the 22mm pipes that feed the radiators. The problem I have is a limited amount of space in one area and I am concerned that one of the 22mm pipes that takes hot water to the radiators will actually be pressing against the gas pipe as it goes past it. My concern is that heat from the "radiator pipe" will warm up the gas in the gas pipe and raise the pressure. I could probably squeeze some pipe insulation between the two pipes, which might help, but would that be good enough to not have a problem? Is there a minimum clearance that is required? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links

This is interesting as I am about to start a project in my house where I want to reroute the 22mm pipes that feed the radiators. The problem I have is a limited amount of space in one area and I am concerned that one of the 22mm pipes that takes hot water to the radiators will actually be pressing against the gas pipe as it goes past it. My concern is that heat from the "radiator pipe" will warm up the gas in the gas pipe and raise the pressure. I could probably squeeze some pipe insulation between the two pipes, which might help, but would that be good enough to not have a problem? Is there a minimum clearance that is required? Thanks in advance for any input.

you say the other posts are intersting, but not interesting enough for you to read them!!!!
there is no minimum distance required between gas and water pipe

Took the advice - and very grateful for it.
Ran pipes together for a short distance where necessary.
Suppose that in practice central heating hot water is not close to hot enough to cause problem for gas.
No problems found.
House didn't burn down :D

OK - may it sounds like I didn't read the posts - but the previous posts said adjacent and I wasn't sure it that included actually in contact. Also the previous post mentioned 15 plastic pipe and I didn't know if the answer might be different for 22 copper mm pipes.... thanks to all for the feedback

OK - may it sounds like I didn't read the posts - but the previous posts said adjacent and I wasn't sure it that included actually in contact. Also the previous post mentioned 15 plastic pipe and I didn't know if the answer might be different for 22 mm copper pipes.... thanks to all for the feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back