Pruning syringa now

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a syringa 'hedge' that is top heavy. there's lots of gaps and straggly growth up to about 4'.

I know if I prune now I'll lose flowers this summer, but will the trimmed parts put on some bushy growth? I don't mind losing the flowers but I would like a decent screen between me and the neighbours.

I've checked on Google and all the posts about renovation pruning of Syringa say do it in the winter or immediately after flowering.

(Can't think now why I didn't do it in the winter....doh)

Thanks
Min

Sponsored Links
advice from the rhs is to prune in winter or spring, dependent on the variety, most will tolerate hard pruning as well. I would say that you should still be ok, bearing in mind the temperatures still have a way to go to come up and we are still classed as being in spring. Any real doubts give the rhs a tinkle.

Wrong time to prune a lilac :?: Autumn would have been better.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo, sound advice. I'll try the RHS but I think unless they predict something drastic I am willing to take the risk. As you say, it is still a cold Spring.

This whole boundary (100ft) is a pain. The neighbours bought a pack of 'Five traditional hedging plants' about 10 years ago and planted them along the fence which, on the title deeds, isn't their responsibility. However they have NEVER pruned them. I moved in two years ago and want a proper effective screen - not a hazel bush with 20' stems that offers very little at ground or eye level. Or a privet 'tree' with one stem that is 4" across.

I have thought of underplanting the syringa but want to try pruning first.

For the other grossly over grown and straggley offerings (hazel, privet, ribes, elm) I am underplanting on my side of the 'hedge' with pyracantha, sloe and hawthorn. It's going to take a while but should pay off.

I did talk to the neighbours, discussed pruning, took advice from a tree surgeon, agreed a plan of action with the neighbours, wrote it down, discussed it again. Then things got delayed (tree surgeon went into hospital) and they completely went back on their word. They are the type that get old people a bad name :mad:

Hope I don't turn out like that.
Sorry for the rant and thanks for listening!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back