PTFE on compression fittings?

Sponsored Links
I haven't yet heard a convincing argument for not using PTFE on the olive

In favour: It prevents leaks
Against: Some people don't like the look of it

My DIY plumbing is intended to be practical, not ornamental.
(must find my Duraglit for the copper pipes round the boiler)

It's belt and braces and what's the harm ? It is also a sign of reliability, leaving nothing to chance. The proof is simple - never any leaks from joints

Well here is the argument, I emailed the technical department of Conex and Prestex, asking about using PTFE on compression joints, here are their replies.

Pegler

Good Morning.

I can confirm that the use of PTFE tape or any jointing compound is not recommended for use with any compression fittings.

Both of these are for use solely on internal threaded joints and not external as compression fittings are.

The use of these on a compression fitting not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak, but would invalidate the warranty we offer with the product as it is not installed to our guidelines.

I have attached a copy of the compression fittings brochure to this email. To the rear of it you will find our installation instructions for the Kuterlite range. This method is also recommended for the Prestex range.

If you require any further information please ask and I will advise you.

Regards

And Conex Reply

Chris,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Conex has never recommended the use of PTFE tape on its compression fittings. If the joint is made up to the instructions, the joint will not fail (the copper tube, or plastic pipe will fail first).

If Conex compression is used for gas services, we do recommend an anaerobic sealant, such as Loctite 577 (see attached) to ensure the joint is leak tight. This sealant can be used on potable water systems, as it is WRAS approved.

Regards,

Bob.

Bob McCunn - Senior Laboratory Engineer
IBP Conex Ltd, Whitehall Road, Tipton, West Midlands, UK, DY4 7JU
Direct Line: +44 (0)121 521 2902 Ext: 232 Fax: +44 (0)121 557 7936
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.IBPGroup.com | www.IBPConex.co.uk

Conex Bänninger- DOING MORE since 1909

So that is the definitive answer in my opinion, but you carry on doing whatever you want, but please do not misinform the rest of the public

all it proves was that you asked the guy if it was worth putting ptfe on a compression thread - the thread and nut does not do any sealing in itself as it is the olive that forms the seal, therefore the argument is about putting a turn of ptfe on the olive.

by the way, a manufacturer will never give advice contrary to its own literature.

a turn of ptfe on an iffy fitting is fine (pointless on a good fitting) & i use jet blue everytime with excellent results.

I haven't yet heard a convincing argument for not using PTFE on the olive

In favour: It prevents leaks
Against: Some people don't like the look of it

My DIY plumbing is intended to be practical, not ornamental.
(must find my Duraglit for the copper pipes round the boiler)

It's belt and braces and what's the harm ? It is also a sign of reliability, leaving nothing to chance. The proof is simple - never any leaks from joints

Well here is the argument, I emailed the technical department of Conex and Prestex, asking about using PTFE on compression joints, here are their replies.

Pegler

Good Morning.

I can confirm that the use of PTFE tape or any jointing compound is not recommended for use with any compression fittings.

Both of these are for use solely on internal threaded joints and not external as compression fittings are.

The use of these on a compression fitting not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak, but would invalidate the warranty we offer with the product as it is not installed to our guidelines.

I have attached a copy of the compression fittings brochure to this email. To the rear of it you will find our installation instructions for the Kuterlite range. This method is also recommended for the Prestex range.

If you require any further information please ask and I will advise you.

Regards

And Conex Reply

Chris,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Conex has never recommended the use of PTFE tape on its compression fittings. If the joint is made up to the instructions, the joint will not fail (the copper tube, or plastic pipe will fail first).

If Conex compression is used for gas services, we do recommend an anaerobic sealant, such as Loctite 577 (see attached) to ensure the joint is leak tight. This sealant can be used on potable water systems, as it is WRAS approved.

Regards,

Bob.

Bob McCunn - Senior Laboratory Engineer
IBP Conex Ltd, Whitehall Road, Tipton, West Midlands, UK, DY4 7JU
Direct Line: +44 (0)121 521 2902 Ext: 232 Fax: +44 (0)121 557 7936
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.IBPGroup.com | www.IBPConex.co.uk

Conex Bänninger- DOING MORE since 1909

So that is the definitive answer in my opinion, but you carry on doing whatever you want, but please do not misinform the rest of the public

all it proves was that you asked the guy if it was worth putting ptfe on a compression thread - the thread and nut does not do any sealing in itself as it is the olive that forms the seal, therefore the argument is about putting a turn of ptfe on the olive.

by the way, a manufacturer will never give advice contrary to its own literature.

a turn of ptfe on an iffy fitting is fine (pointless on a good fitting) & i use jet blue everytime with excellent results.

Well try and ensure you buy good quality fittings instead of cheap crap, false economy in my opinion

Has anyone tried wrapping hemp and boss white around a olive? Actually I might try some silicone :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I notice the old gorilla has not made such a song and dance about "or any jointing compound "

I notice the old gorilla has not made such a song and dance about "or any jointing compound "

"Gorilla", typical of these forums, people have to resort to insults, sad.

You stated your opinion as a DIYer, I stated my opinion as a proffessional, you don't like my opinion so you resort to calling names, why is that?

Compression fittings are designed so when tightned the face of the olive and the face of the fitting meet and are compressed to make a seal at the same time the olive is compressed onto the pipe by the capnut to retain the fitting in place.
Compression fittings have been around way before PTFE was availiable no one ever had a problem, in their design they are a complete fitting and do not require any addition of PTFE.
Your argument was for the use of PTFE, not paste, I can not be bothered to go down another route with you in the pros and cons of paste.
As I have said many times, use PTFE if you so desire, but do not state that this is the correct method for use with compression fittings, the manufacturers state PTFE should not be used.

***********A D V E R T I S I N G ******** F E A T U R E*********

HOUSEHOLDERS BEWARE of the deadly Teflon menace! Lurking inside every water and gas appliance, and concealed at strategic points along your pipework lies a sinister compound. Polytetrafluoroethylene, otherwise known as (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene and is a high-molecular-weight compound consisting wholly of carbon and fluorine. Why should we be so worried about such an inocuos sounding compound that takes the form of a thin, soft white tape?

Because over the last thirty years, unscrupulous and mis-informed plumbers and gas fitters have been unwittingly applying small lengths of this tape to the olives found inside compression fittings, one of the types of joints used to connect pipes together and to water and gas appliances. The after effects of this time-bomb are yet to be seen, but, in the words of 'Jake 1886', a reputable correspondant and plumber, it is 'A flood waiting to happen'. Several have fiercely argued in favour for the use of such tape, but in a heated debate matters have almost come to blows - 'i'll hack you to pieces sonny' were the words used by Kevplumb, a retired ex-patriate now safely residing in the distant USA.

Here at Axel Plumbing we are able to offer a comprehensive PTFE tape removal service. This will involve the removal of all floor boards, boxed in pipe sections and refitting of boilers and bathroom suites. And that's just for the survey to see if you have it.

If you are really in Tennessee, then what are you doing up at this time of night??

Who's the nutter?

Rush in Nashville :eek: You`ve shattered my American Dream - I thought it was all cool + laid back thar :cry: Well I woke up this mornin ` ....Then went back to sleep again . The train rolled into the Stashon - and didn`t stop :mrgreen: Well my baby left me @ 3 am . local time

Haha! I just Googled "PTFE removal service" and the ad I just posted on here comes up top of the list!!

Well try and ensure you buy good quality fittings instead of cheap crap, false economy in my opinion

if you re read my post, i did not say that i use it on new fittings or even always on old fittings that i remake. you make too many assumptions (for instance, why do you think i use cheap crap?) and are too opinionated by far.

what a ridiculous thread...............

axel, can i ask what procedure you have in place for safe disposal of all the ptfe you will be collecting?

I will collect it up onto one of those white plastic reels with cover (of which many half empty ones rattle around my toolbox) and use it on threaded joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back