PTFE on compression fittings?

Sponsored Links
I'm one for putting a bit of something on an olive usually be it paste, PTFE etc.

Fitted a new 2-port valve today with new pipe, dry, tightened it same as usual and it ****ed out when i filled up! Had to nip it up with a pair of 12" grips to stop it!

Like Tony suggested a few PAGES ago a bit of something to lubricate the olive and stop it squealing is probably a good idea.

Wee bit of tape roond a dodgy old olive is, imo, acceptable practice.

Tape roond the threads is a fantastic and invaluable indicator that the installer knew shaft-all about plumbing.

When my old man was training me he wouldn't even answer me when I asked if I could use it to help my joints be leak-free. Look of contempt was all I got.

Is it the olive or the thread that squeals? Whatever it is it's surely good sense to lubricate it.

Sponsored Links
Come on Kev fairs fair Joe90 knows all about the use of lubrication to stop squeals. :eek:

Guys, i see alot of plumbing where people have put ptfe on compression fittings? i never have used it, but are you meant to or not?

Proper answer; the olive is soft annealed in new compression fittings but will work harden once used.

A new fitting/olive will seal without the use of tape or paste. The maunfacturer's instructions do not mention the use of tape or jointing compound on the olives since it is not required witha new fitting. The olive will deform to seal gaps between pipe and fitting.

Old gits, like me, will know that the copper head gasket had to be annealed every time you took the head off your Bonneville/Commando/Squareiel/B50, etc,

A fitting that has been dismantled will often not seal. The olive should be replaced or else PTFE tape or jointing compound may be needed to seal it.

PTFE on the threads of a compression fitting does nothing at all.

Onetap , . Yes I remember the gasket on my Thunderbird - couldn`t afford a Bonnie :oops:

Onetap , . Yes I remember the gasket on my Thunderbird - couldn`t afford a Bonnie :oops:

I could. :D
I've still got it. :D :D

Heat to pillar box red and quench in the kitchen sink.
It still leaked oil.
Anneal as above and use some Hermetite Gold.
Still leaked oil. :rolleyes:

OK, from the Fernox site...

Ideal for use on compression joints and screwed fittings
Never sets rock hard, joints can easily be undone
Does not shrink or crack with age
Suitable for use from below freezing point to above boiling point of water
Completely safe to use with drinking water

Jet Blue is only to 85C. LSX is silicon based.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back