public forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed that from the beginning...
because most of you live here it is natural to discuss topics that involve uk. i sometimes can relate...but usually in a different way. Was wondering if anyone else ever thought or considered that there might be a little bit of a language barrier and why the posts made could have us yanks in mind...just a little mind you...like try not to assume that everyone knows what you are talking about. Sounds a bit selfish to me...on my part...but frankly most of the time...i have no idea what in the heck you all are talking about. I want to join in....but have no idea. any idea how to get around this with out the sarcastic wit? that you all are known for.?

Sponsored Links
I suppose we just communicate in a way which is natural to us, and as we try not to be too l,ong-winded when typing then there is a lot of nuance, abbreviation, symbolism or whatever the word is, which may be hard for a foreigner to fathom. I'm sure any of us would find the same on a US forum.
I don't think there's much to be done about it, if people tried to make it all more universal it would lose it's local flavour which is often very entertaining.

true hermes...you have made a good point. I have picked up a bit of the lingo...both good and maybe not so good....was just thinkin out loud m8te..
makes sense...but the truth be told...I dont find much on U S forums either. ;) ;)

Gawd blimey mlb3c are you have a bubble with us.

had to show this to the trouble and she could not adam and eve that you did twig our lingo double quick. Going to have a word with me plates down the nuclear sub tonight and have a door mat with em over a couple of britney's and see if we can sort this out for you

Cannot have a Lloyds Bank not understanding the Queens proper!

;)

fill free to translate lads :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
corgiman...i have picked up a 'little' bit....didnt say it was enough to get by on.... i know daisy roots..maudlin...takin the mickey....bein clever....and a nasty git....which i especially like. gettin more of an education here and ....else where to fill me boots. :LOL:

of your reply...i got this:
bubble=bone to pick
trouble=wife/better half
adam&eve=figure out
twig=pick up/catch on
lingo=dialect
plates=mates/friends
nuclear sub=pub
door mat=discussion
britneys=drinks

how was that? anywhere close?
lost me on the last part tho :LOL:

ok i will translate a bit

bubble (as in bubble bath) = to laugh
trouble (as in trouble and strife) = wife (a personal favourite of mine that)
adam and eve = believe
twig = not rhyming but a slang for understand
lingo= language
plates (as China Plates)= Mates, friends
Nuclear Sub= Pub (drinking establishment)
Door Mat= Chat
Britney's (as in britney spears)= Beers
Lloyds Bank = Yank

hope that helps

i dont think i did very badly....i think i should just sit and smile....be an observer for a little longer ;)

corgiman said:

adam and eve = believe
lingo= language
Door Mat= Chat
Lloyds Bank = Yank

hope that helps

the list is endless i suppose, but i thought... plates ( of meat ) were feet

poshman said:
corgiman said:

adam and eve = believe
lingo= language
Door Mat= Chat
Lloyds Bank = Yank

hope that helps

the list is endless i suppose, but i thought... plates ( of meat ) were feet

Hows it going me ole china,Put china in front off yer plate and yer become me mate :)

mlb please note that it is traditionally cockernees who use rhyming slang and they all live in london, thank god. If tha wants to speak reet, tha's gorra speak summat like this!

thou shal have a fishy on a little dishy howaaay man

see us shandy drinking southern poofs can do accents to ;)

Sponsored Links
Back