Public Liabilty Insurance

Sponsored Links
AXA, and unfortunately I've had to use them recently, because I was a tit :(
Have to say that my experience of using them was perfect; they were extremely helpful to both me and my customer, and sorted everything out very quickly. I recommend them

Funny that... Just heard a radio ad for AXA, which spurred me on to starting this thread.

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear of your recent bout of Tit-itus :eek:

Sponsored Links
Something I'm very interested in too at the moment. I am in the process of switching careers and will obviously need liability insurance once I'm up and running. What sort of cover do you go for and how much is it generally (sorry it is quite a specific question but want to get an idea). I am looking to get into plumbing/heating and tiling.

There are a lot of variables eg tools, van, gas work, etc. Best to ring a company like Direct Line to get a quote for your circumstances.
Just wondering. When workers retire do they maintain their insurance in case there is any comeback from old customers?

There are a lot of variables eg tools, van, gas work, etc. Best to ring a company like Direct Line to get a quote for your circumstances.
Just wondering. When workers retire do they maintain their insurance in case there is any comeback from old customers?

I retired last year and thought the same thing kept the Insurance going to end of policy, ( paid premium yearly) going on the theory that any problems should have showed up by then.
Luckily I have never had to make a claim,
There are still a lot of "Cowboys" out there that do not bother with Insurance, its worth checking they have PLI
The person taking on the Workman has a responsibility to ensure the workman has the proper tools etc, and Insurance, Qualifications to carry out the work intended.

There are still a lot of "Cowboys" out there that do not bother with Insurance, its worth checking they have PLI
The person taking on the Workman has a responsibility to ensure the workman has the proper tools etc, and Insurance, Qualifications to carry out the work intended.

I don't think I would agree with you there. A layman does not know about those things.

My view is that the Workman should not take on the job unless he has the skills, tools and appropriate insurance.

Tony

I don't think I would agree with you there. A layman does not know about those things.

My view is that the Workman should not take on the job unless he has the skills, tools and appropriate insurance.

Tony
There was a news item sometime back in our local paper, some one had got in a handyman to replace a broken window pane and repair woodwork of a window frame on a business property, the window was second floor ( third storey)
as it was being done on the cheap the handyman used a ladder instead of hiring Scaffolding, the handyman told the owner that as it was a small job it was not worth the cost of hiring the scaffolding thus went against working at height regulations, a gust of wind caught his ladder whilst he was working on it and blew it over the handyman was killed.
Health and Safety took the property owner to Court as the property owner had a responsibility to ensure the Handyman complied with Health and Safety Regulations and should have insisted on Scaffolding. if there was no other safe method of repairing the window.

Last edited:
depends who is legally classed as the duty holder. If your working on a commerical property they should inspect and agree with your rams etc.....

in domestic properties the home owners/ landlords have a duty to inform workmen about hazards like asbestos but would not be expected to check the common sense of the workmen :)

Different laws apply to property used for commercial purposes where the business/property owner has an obligation to ensure that safety at work requirements are followed.

A domestic property owner is not expected to know what safety requirements are needed. That's why the Worker needs to know what he requires and to follow safe working practices if he is a contractor. If he is an employee then its the employer who is responsible!

There have been so many accidents on roofing work which is why they always advertise that they are "fully insured". That sounds good but actually means nothing as insurance will not cover you if you don't use safe working practices.

Its a potential minefield.

There was an interesting case where an estate agent used a handyman who was over 70 to do some casual work. He fell through a car port and was injured ( or maybe killed ). The case decided that a younger person might have been more agile and less likely to fall through the car port. But the estate agent was not permitted to not engage him because of his age!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back