Puddles on garage roof like America's Great Lakes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently (Feb 2006) had my flat garage roof re-felted and then finished with solar reflective paint. There was a lot of water not draining off so the gentleman came back and jacked the one side of the roof up a couple of inches. However there are a couple of large puddles still there and I am thinking maybe one way of solving is by 'filling in' the depressions with maybe solar reflective paint or bitumen or maybe floor levelling compound. I am a complete novice at this sort of stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have already had to repaint the solar reflective coat....I don't know what the gentleman used, but it did not last the promised 'five years'.
Very best wishes
stokey

Sponsored Links
Call the people who did the roof back to fix it. You paid them good money, they are responsible for getting it right

Thankyou for that. The guy is a pleasant fellow and we Brits are not good at complaining. He did come back once and as I said, jacked the roof up a couple of inches. I would rather try to find a solution myself. I do have a 10 year warranty if it does leak in. Maybe someone has an idea for me to try.
Stokey

a certain amount of water holding on a roof should'nt cause problems but can be unsightly, if the ponding is'nt to deep you could spread chippings deeper than the water, use gritting solution to hold chippings :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for this advice and I shall certainly give it a go. It reminds me of the Aesop's Fable...the one about the Crow that could not reach the water in the pitcher. The water was so low in the pitcher that he could only reach the water after dropping in stones to raise the level. The moral of the fable is "Necessity is the mother of invention!
I will let you know how I go on!!
Thankyou again.

Blaster said:
a certain amount of water holding on a roof should'nt cause problems but can be unsightly, if the ponding is'nt to deep you could spread chippings deeper than the water, use gritting solution to hold chippings :idea:
Thanks again...I read on Ask that 'gritting solution is used to bond aggregrate and provide a solar reflective surface. So this is a really promising avenue.
But where do I get gritting solution from?

any good roofing suppliers that stock felt... if they dont have it in they will order it for you :) also make sure roof is clean and dry before application

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back