pug 206

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wondered if anyone had any ideas. When the car is stud in traffic

i've noticed the cooling fan for the engine doesn't kick in.

any ideas?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Bit difficult to pinpoint, from such a vague symptoms.

Does the temperature gauge go into (or close to) the red when stationary?

could be a blown fuse,
bad connector (near the fan),
or seized / blown motor.

When you are driving 30+mph the air passing through the fan will actually turn it, fans are normally only needed when stationary or moving slowly in traffic.

Could be the thermoswitch. If you can identify it (usually fitted into the left hand side of the radiator - follow wires from fan). Has 2 wires going to it. Unplug it and short out the 2 contacts in the plug - with the ignition on the fan should run, regardless of the water temperature. If it does the switch is faulty, if not check for 12 volts on one of the plug contacts ( with the ign on.) If no volts either fuse or wiring faulty, if volts going to motor then thats faulty or the earth lead is broken.

Sponsored Links
do you have one of those resistors installed into the car? cos i did mine was the same the heat got too much for the resistor and the temp would fly off and the car would tell me to "STOP"

Funny enough my mate in work got a 206. He was stuck in 7 mile tail back this morning, and his was hitting the red. He said apparently all 206's run hot and fan doesnt kick in till the red

tawelfryn said:
He said apparently all 206's run hot and fan doesnt kick in till the red

Mine doesn't. Goes up to about 90-95 (red is 110?) then the fan kicks in and it flies back down to 70-80 (from memory). Climbs steadily back up in tracffic and cycle repeats.

HI DO YOU HAVE A 206 WITH AIR CON ?IF SO THERE ARE TWO GREEN RELAYS BEHIND A PANEL JUST BESIDE FAN THE BOTTOM ONE WILL HAVE A BROKEN/corroded WIRE CANT REMEMBER WHAT COLOR BIT ITS A THICK WIRE .FIXED THREE WITH SAME PROB .THE relays corrode USE SOME SANDPAPER TO CLEAN THEM AND SMEAR SOME PETROLEUM/JELLY ON CONTACTS THIS WILL STOP WATER GETTING IN .HOPE THIS HELPS

Sponsored Links
Back