Pull cord switch for light and extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pull cord switch in the bathroom that connects the light and extractor fan. The extractor is working fine, but just recently the light has started to come on intermittently, and sometimes not come on at all. The switch has an On/Off indicator and a red light as well. Any ideas what's wrong with it / how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
First thing to check should be the lamp itself - particularly if it's a screw fitting - has it simply worked loose?

Loose connection should be the first electrical thing to check - turn off the power first.

Dodgy light fitting might also be the cause.

If the light is an ELV one, it might be a transformer on the blink.

If the fan always works fine, it's not the switch, unless it's a double pole one with the fan and light lives separate. While you've got the power off you might as well check there as well..

Thanks for the advice, although I haven't had a chance to look at it yet I will hopefully get a chance this weekend. I forgot to mention that the light stays on if you pull the cord all the way and hold it, if you then let it go it goes off, or stays on if it's being nice...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Bearing in mind that I am a complete novice, is this something that would be 'doable' my myself?

As long as you switch off the supply first.
Make notes as you go and get a direct replacement.
If in doubt take pictures and post them on the site.

Qedelec - I got a replacement switch from B&Q last night and fitted it following your instructions and it's working a treat now - thanks for your help and advice.

deaks said:
The extractor is working fine, but just recently the light has started to come on intermittently, and sometimes not come on at all.
deaks said:
I forgot to mention that the light stays on if you pull the cord all the way and hold it, if you then let it go it goes off, or stays on if it's being nice...
I'd love to know how a switch could be dodgy for the light, but OK for the fan.... Is it one with a timed overrun?

I thought that was probably the case. The switch making contact initially caused the fan to run but the light didn't stay on.
The clue was in the statement.
I forgot to mention that the light stays on if you pull the cord all the way and hold it, if you then let it go it goes off, or stays on if it's being nice...

yeah sounds like the latching mechanism in the switch has failed which with modern switch designs means you need a new switch.

Hi, I'm trying to replace my pull cord switch in my bathroom. the switch controls the light and the extractor fan. the problem is i have looked at the wiring of the old switch and there is two grey cables that go into the switch. one of them has got some black tape around the grey part of the cable and then the red wire comes out into a terminal labled "in" the black wire goes into a terminal directly above that terminal. Then the other grey cable has it's red wire go into a terminal on the other side from the terminal that says "in" and then the black wire goes above this red wire, so there are 4 wires each with there own terminal. The problem is the new switch just has two terminals, "com" and "L2" there is an "L1" but there is no terminal to actually put the wire in to it. none of the black wires have red tape around them but that could be bad electrician who wired the place in the 70's anyway I hope this makes sense and would greatly appreciate any help

regards
Peter

sorry i've just been looking on the wiki would I need a double pole light switch as the one I bought from B & Q is a one way light switch (pull cord obviously)

thanks
Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back