pullcord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people,friend of mine taken down old pullcord in bathroom asked me to have a look,4black wires in connector block,4 red wires on their own and 4 earths, pullcord has com L1 and L2 any ideas on how to connect them would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
good question that would be to easy he had already taken all the wires out before i arrived and now all he remembers is the blacks are as they were cant remember were the reds went

yes well, all blacks together in block untouched. then one of the reds, the one going to the light in L1 and the other three together in C. unless you can trace it in the attic its trial and error i'm afraid

Sponsored Links
crafty, as it is a bathroom light i was assuming he could trace this red in the attic, from his post i'm sure he doesnt have a multimeter or know how to use it really so trail and error quicker method for him i'm sure

i was thinking, as his friend called on him, he must have SOME electrical know-how, or have something that sets him apart from his other friends, such as . . . a multimeter? maybe i was too optimistic :LOL:

ban, most of the people posting should not be messing with electrics. some posts i just look then look away and shudder

hmm i do own a multimeter but i hardly ever use it when doing electrics.

but then i'm not the kind who gets wires mixed up in the first place.

plugwash said:
hmm i do own a multimeter but i hardly ever use it when doing electrics.

Mostly use it when cooking, perhaps? ;) Has it got the temperature sensor accessory?

ok so i should have said mains electrics

tbh the thing it gets used for most is checking the values of resistors (i'm getting better at spotting common codes but unless i'm trying to identify a resitor thats in circuit there is no way i'll look for a code chart or write one down from the rather obscene menmonic i know (i would post it here but it could be viewed as racist and i'd rather not get accused of that here). I'll occasionally use it to test a lead or to try and find a track break or check a chip is getting power or something like that.

could really do with getting arround to buying an ossciliscope though ;)

When you do buy an oscilloscope, my advice is not to but one of the portable LCD ones, I brought one and I find it hard work to use.
btw, isn't it BBROYGBVGW or something???

yes that sequence matches with the menmonic i know but i'd still have to write it down with numbers against it to actually use it by which time its easier just to use the multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back