Bathroom extractor fan pull cord switch broke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The pullcord switch for our bathroom extractor fan has broken and needs replacing. The switch directly controls the fan turning it on and off, it has no timer.

I bought a new 2 way 6A pullcord switch thinking this would be OK, but on looking at the existing switch it has black+red wires coming to one side marked IN and black+red wires on the other side (ie 4 connections in total not counting the 2 earth).

My new switch only has L1, L2 and COM. I've got a feeling the existing switch is a double poll? Presumably I should only replace it with a double poll and my new switch is no use?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you should take back your switch and obtain a double pole one

You could make it work by joining the neutrals and just switching the phase, but I'm 99.9% sure the switch is an isolator in this case and must switch all live conductors

starfire said:
My new switch only has L1, L2 and COM. I've got a feeling the existing switch is a double poll? Presumably I should only replace it with a double poll and my new switch is no use?

I'm afraid you are correct on all three counts.

Sorry.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies chaps!

I'll try and find somewhere local selling a DP pullcord switch...

Thing is, why is the extractor fan switched like this but presumably the light switch just uses a single pole one like I purchased?

Sponsored Links
Like adam said in your installation the pull switch is acting as an isolator to the fan rather than a switch for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back