Pulling Main Service fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house and while doing some work in the bathroom I discovered a stray wire under the floor boards. I was very suprised to find it was live!!

I traced it back to the consumer unit and would like to remove it safely. Firstly I would like to isolate the supply by pulling the main service fuse. The seals have already been cut so am not worried about that, but was wondering what was the chance of the fuse blowing while either pulling it out or putting it back in?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to pull the main fuse, switch off all the main switches on your CU/CU's. This will prevent sparking when pulling & replacing the fuse. The fuse will not blow if you do it like that

Slim to none chance, do you not have a main switch after the meter on on your consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
I may be dense, but what is wrong with just turning off the CU main switch, and checking if the live wire is no longer live?

I thought people on here have always said to isolate the incoming supply at the main fuse before doing any work on the consumer unit?

Isolate it at the incomming device before poking around inside it, yes
Isolate the supply to it if changing the board, etc, yes

But you shouldn't be messing with the suppliers equipment just to disconnect an outgoing cirucit is silly (unless someone has balls something up bigtime, like double-lugged it onto the tails), its slightly questionable anyway, and theres no need to do it for this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back