Pulling the supplier's fuse

i was under the impression that unless you worked for the supply company you wernt allowed to pop the main fuse? i could be wrong, but i thought there was a law regarding this? im unsure.

Sponsored Links
WabbitPoo said:
If you are asking me, I can't say as I am not an electrician. I am just engaging in an interesting discussion. However, logic would say that you should get the company to come out as its "their" property. Otherwise, why seal it? I am probably wrong though.

The correct procedure is to contact the supply company, they might come and remove the fuse for the duration of your work, they might install you an isolator, or they might give you permission to cut it (either with or without a re-sealing charge). Its technically upto them.

In many cases the correct was of doing things is too drawn out and impractical for the real world when work has been done, and its certainly not uncommon for the spark to just snip the seal and say nothing and in 99% of cases no one cares and a blind eye is turned* (quite often thats legally the best way for the supply company, if they say you can't cut the seal and you do anyway, then if you injure yourself pulling the fuse, they are less liable than if they said go ahead...)

Its often joked about between sparks that if they are asked about the seals they'll just say it wasn't them and some other guy must have cut the seals before they got there, or the fuse fairy... (that one wouldn't hold much water tho ;) )

*There is one spark on here who got little more than a quick telling off for sawing a padlock off a DNO 800A TP incommer...

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
are these stil the lead seals on lockwire?

Some are, the ones are mine though are steel wire, in a crimped tag that is shapped like a little flag... not that I'm bothered of course, because central networks fitted a MEM 100A DP Isolator free of charge :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back