Pulling the supplier's fuse

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was called to a job the other night due to the customer loosing all power to the property. The main 100A/30mA Rcd had tripped and was faulty. I had a spare in the van but the only way to replace was to pull the supplier's fuse to isolate the power.

How do people feel about this? Should i have rang the supplier or was it best to pull the fuse and rectify the fault?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most DNO guide lines are written to the book, but in practice.....

WPD are happy for us to remove the fuse, and even connect tails as long as we fax them one of their completion certs. If they recieve a cert, they attend site as a matter of course, even if this means they only re-seal.

The written rules are some what different from the 'rules' on the ground!

I agree. Pull the fuse, and then send a completion form to the DNO, for them to reseal.

or do it live

Rf, i'll just nip and get my glasses shall i? :D

Sponsored Links
RF :LOL: The cardboard from a cornflake packet cut and rolled and smothered with tape to form an insulated sleeve about 3" long can come in handy sometimes.

RMS said:
Hi,

I was called to a job the other night due to the customer loosing all power to the property. The main 100A/30mA Rcd had tripped and was faulty. I had a spare in the van but the only way to replace was to pull the supplier's fuse to isolate the power.

How do people feel about this? Should i have rang the supplier or was it best to pull the fuse and rectify the fault?

Thanks.

Are you an electrician?

Not really, as all company's i have worked for have never insisted or carried out procedure of any sort in contacting the supplier when cutting seals and pulling the main fuse. Come to think of it i do not know anyone who has?

Just thought i would post the scenario and see how others adhere to this.

Right-o. Isn't the whole point of the seals to remind you of the fact that they are not supposed to be opened? Seems pointless, otherwise

Tell me,

do you contact the relevant supply company and get them to cut the seals or come out and re-seal the cut out?

RMS said:
Tell me,

do you contact the relevant supply company and get them to cut the seals or come out and re-seal the cut out?

If you are asking me, I can't say as I am not an electrician. I am just engaging in an interesting discussion. However, logic would say that you should get the company to come out as its "their" property. Otherwise, why seal it? I am probably wrong though.

Taylortwocities said:
Its a funny thing. The seals have already been cut by somebody else on every site I've been to.
:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back