Pullup bar fixed to Thermolite block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fix a pull up bar in the garage but the internal walls are bare thermolite block. The bar will look like the attached and will be approx. 20kg plus my weight of another 80kg hanging from it. Is it possible to get a good enough fixing in Thermolite? cheers
20200804_211624.jpg ackground-with-Measurements484602_1_1(1).jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but I would suggest you would need to distribute the load - Bolts through the wall, to the far side, then large washers or some steel to spread the load.

Maybe, but I would suggest you would need to distribute the load - Bolts through the wall, to the far side, then large washers or some steel to spread the load.
the other side of the wall is external bricks via a cavity as its a garage attached to a new build house. I was thinking maybe use the mortar course for the top fixing and then re drill the pull up bar bracket to match the next mortar course down, are mortar courses with Thermolite block strong?

are mortar courses with Thermolite block strong?

That depends entirely on the strength when it was mixed. Fixing to the joint, isn't usually a good option where there is a heavy load expected, like this, but the morter might be stronger.

The alternative would be to find some method to get something in the cavity, at the back of the Thermolite blocks, to distribute the load. I'm thinking a strip of steel, ready drilled and using threaded rod through the blocks. Have you any access from above the cavity, to lower a bit of 5mm steel strip into place, then fit the nuts?

Sponsored Links
That depends entirely on the strength when it was mixed. Fixing to the joint, isn't usually a good option where there is a heavy load expected, like this, but the morter might be stronger.

The alternative would be to find some method to get something in the cavity, at the back of the Thermolite blocks, to distribute the load. I'm thinking a strip of steel, ready drilled and using threaded rod through the blocks. Have you any access from above the cavity, to lower a bit of 5mm steel strip into place, then fit the nuts?

No its an integrated garage with the 1st floor of the housr directly above it.

Then your only solution is a very long drill, through both Thermolite, cavity and outer leaf of brick, then use threaded rod, with nuts outside. If you can drill through from the joint in the bricks, you might be able to recess the nuts and cement over the top to hide them.

I'd agree with the floor to ceiling sturdy timbers. Tons of screws to spread the load, possibly including a couple of horizontals thrown in for good measure? Probably make the oblong frame, then screw to wall rather than fixing four timbers.

I just use concrete screws with a 4mm pilot hole when drilling into thermolite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back