Pulsacoil 2000 boiler only works in boost mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’ve recently moved to a flat which has a pulsacoil 2000 boiler fitted in an airing cupboard. Next to the cupboard are two switches marked “normal” and “boost”. When I put the “normal” switch on, I have no hot water coming out from the taps, even when it has been switched on for 24 hours i.e. through the off-peak period where the water is heated. In fact, when I put the “normal” switch on, the green light at the boiler does not illuminate, and I hear no noises at all from the boiler.

When I put the “boost” switch on, the green light at the boiler illuminates, and I get hot water and everything works fine, however I think this means I’m not making use of the off-peak “normal” mode and paying much more for electricity.

I don’t think the issue is to do with power supply via the “normal” switch, as I have checked the power distribution box, and the power switch for the “normal” switch is on. Also, the orange light at the switch illuminates when I switch it on.

A bit more information which may/may not be of help:

- When I first moved in, both switches were off, and when I switched them both on, I still had no hot water, until I topped up the plastic tank above the heater

- Sometimes, when I switch the “boost” on, the green light at the boiler doesn’t illuminate, and it doesn’t switch on, until I just put my finger on the green light/switch and it miraculously turns on

Any advice/ideas will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You have 2 immersion heaters. The lower one is off-peak. The top one is boost. Either the lower immersion has failed or gone off on overheat stat or it is not getting a supply when it should, failure in time-clock or relay. With electric supply off, remove cap on lower immersion and look for little red (usually) re-set button. If it has popped out you should hear a click when you push it back.

Or call an engineer!

Could we ask on what basis you have "moved in" ?

Purchaser? Ask seller.

Tenant? Ask Agent to get it fixed.

Squatter? You are illegal and liable to a fine of £5000 or 6 months in prison.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Really sorry, but it turns out it was a Pulsacoil A-class boiler.
I am renting, and have contacted the agency to look at it, though I thought I'd have a look it myself first as I'd like to understand how equipment work and it makes fixing problems even easier in the future. Also it helps if I understand it properly as this may prove useful for the engineer who comes to fix it.

I haven't found the reset button, but I assume because Daveydub gave instructions relevant to the pulsacoil2000?
Having looked at the booklet for the pulsacoil A-class boiler, it has a display panel which shows the status of the boiler. When I have both switches on, the status illuminates for both off peak and on peak supply present, and when I switch off the off peak switch, the off peak supply present does not illuminate. Also, when I have them both on, and open the tap, the bottom sensor calling light illuminates, which means the bottom (off peak) heater is working.
Additionally, I've checked my electricity meter, and I have a single rate meter, so I'm not sure of any benefit I can gain with the off-peak supply option.

I'm thinking, maybe nothing is wrong with it, and it was set-up with no off-peak timer because the meter is a single rate meter that doesn't measure peak and off peak. Though not sure why it was set up to only be powered on when the boost switch is on. Maybe I should be using the boost as normal (for the top heater), and if I have high demand, then switch them both on?
Sorry I'm just thinking aloud here, not sure on how best to use the boiler, and if it does actually have a problem or not.

I've uploaded a few pics if that helps in anything.

Attachments

• 20160111_192905.jpg
    20160111_192905.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 20160111_224215.jpg
    20160111_224215.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 20160111_224222.jpg
    20160111_224222.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 20160111_224230.jpg
    20160111_224230.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,176
What is a 6 month fine?

A typing mistake for "six months imprisonment", since corrected, thanks.

I would have expected a pulsacoil to be called a cylinder rather than a boiler.

As rented, call the agency to get it fixed. Very few engineers like these. Mike in Reading is one of the very few.

Tony

I am renting, and have contacted the agency to look at it.
That is all you need to do for now.
Later, start looking for somewhere else to live.

though I thought I'd have a look it myself first as I'd like to understand how equipment work and it makes fixing problems even easier in the future.
Nothing about those contraptions is easy. They are designed to be difficult, expensive and complex.

The deal is that thy heat up a large quantity of water using expensive electricity. Extremely expensive in your case as you have a single rate meter.
Heating can take place at any time and usually does. The water inside must be kept ridiculously hot at all times - it's a thermal store. Thermal stores also have other names.

When you want hot water at a tap, sensors detect the flow/temperature (possibly both), and activate the pump on the side to circulate the hot water through the plate heat exchanger below it. Cold mains water goes through the other side and is heated up, this is what you get out of your taps. Water inside the thing is just circulated around by the pump.
Various other temperature sensors exist and the controller board adjusts the pump speed, switches on one or both heaters and does various other unnecessary things.

Yours has obviously been leaking around the lower heater and has significant corrosion. It's probably beyond repair, and the owners know this, hence the single rate meter being fitted. (No point having a 2 rate meter for cheaper electricity if the only thing that would use it is broken).

They are designed to be difficult, expensive and complex.

The deal is that thy heat up a large quantity of water using expensive electricity. Extremely expensive in your case as you have a single rate meter.
Heating can take place at any time and usually does. The water inside must be kept ridiculously hot at all times - it's a thermal store. Thermal stores also have other names.

When you want hot water at a tap, sensors detect the flow/temperature (possibly both), and activate the pump on the side to circulate the hot water through the plate heat exchanger below it. Cold mains water goes through the other side and is heated up, this is what you get out of your taps. Water inside the thing is just circulated around by the pump.
Various other temperature sensors exist and the controller board adjusts the pump speed, switches on one or both heaters and does various other unnecessary things.

It's like reading the "honest sales brochure". Like the Honest Movie trailer channel on youtube, we should do a boiler equivalent :LOL:

I am not surprised the bottom heater probably doesn't work. Been plenty of water around it & cable is arranged to lead water into cap.
Unless you also have storage heaters you would probably not save money by swapping to economy 7 once you have both heaters working.
A look at uswitch or similar will help you decide on this.
Amazing that a letting agent does an inspection/inventory and does not think that mess to be significant.

I have only just seen those pictures.

I am amazed that seeing all that leaking and corrosion you can even imagine that it has any chance of working.

Unfortunately cheap flats are designed around a thermal store like that and its usually impossible to find any other way to heat the water.

Tony

Thanks guys. This has been very helpful.
I'll ensure the engineer that is eventually sent out to look at it writes down that it is in a really bad state and needs replacing. My landlord is a housing agency so I think they are less hesitant in making replacements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back