Pulsing gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Sorry if this is in wrong section.

When any of the 'rings' are turned on on my Arriston cooker hob, the gas sort of pulses. This can be seen and heard. This is the best way i can decribe it.
My partner has also said she has noticed it when taking the reading on the gas meter outside.

Is this normal?
Hope someone can help ASAP as we dont want to be gassed!!

Sponsored Links
Possible meter governer fault, call transco 0800111999 or water in your gas pies,calll transco.
If your gas supplier is other than the above call them

Definite transco.... could be water in the service pipe to the house with the symptons you describe

Sponsored Links
To update this....

guy from transco came out and said the outlet pipe from the govner was blocked with water. He blew down it and it hasnt done it since. Guy was here all of 2 minutes and arrived within an hour of the phone call.

Many thanksfor the number.

To the pro's...

how does water enter the gas pipe then? is this common?

to the apprentice ;)

where does natural gas come from :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(hint ) its very wet and salty :LOL:

we used to fit syphon loops years ago to get rid of it

glycol? - I know this is used in solar systems and i think its antifreeze?

your knowledge amazes me :D

The cowboys and cheap foreigh labour have a tendancy to connect combi's up incorrectly filling up the gas pipework with water.

One Transco eng. told me he went to a job with water coming out the hob burners due to the new boiler install next door. :eek:

Also you can have a leak in the street that allows the water into the service pipe and then up to the meter.. It is very common. Showing your age kev talking about syphons. God did that water stink.. bster if you ever hear the terminology wet and dry meter this goes back to the time of conversion when water in meters was very common.. Although in certain parts of the country it ended up meaning a meter that held money or a meter that didn`t

Bster, the pressure in the gas main is so low that any ground water around will leak in and that ends up in the gas pipe.

Every so far there is a sump or syphon at the lowest level where the water can collect and be drained off.

When I spoke to one of the few nice Transco people a few weeks ago he said they were rather busy because a water main leak had bored into the gas supply pipe. At that moment they had already pumped out 9000 litres but it had to be tankered away because it was classed as contaminated and had to be disposed of specially.

Tony

well you learn something eveyday, actually i learned another thing today.....blue plastic around the electrical connections to a multifunctional gas valve indicate 24v operation and black or red 240v :D (still not sure how to test them though!)

cheers Kev, Namsag, gasguru

Gasguru - I can not beleive that someone cross connected gas and water pipes, did they have gas coming out of there taps? - if the installers did this and did not notice then i really am not as bad as i think i am :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back