Pulsing Salamander CT50 Shower Pump -ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok - Im new on here so be gentle please! :oops:

Im posting out of desperation really....
I have recently replaced my en suite, which involved replacing the old shower with an Exposed Thermostatic Aqualisa shower, which is fed by a Salamander CT50 Twin Impellar pump.

I should also mention that this pump also feeds a concealed Aqualisa theromostatic shower, although the two are never used simultaniously.

I have replaced the pump a year ago (like for like) and didnt change any of the existing pipework which i have photographed below.
Pump was working fine, until now.....

IMG_0888_zpsdc7d406e.jpg

The en suite has been finished for approximately 3/4 months now, and the following fault has developed:

The shower is turned on, and the pump pulses off and on in short bursts for approx 1-2 mins. When this is finished, the pump runs for the duration of the shower continiously.
I can make it pulse once or twice by altering the thermostatic control on the shower.

The other shower hardly ever pulses (once in 6-7 months), this shower is located the other side of the airing cupboard (where pump is installed). The en suite is a little distance away (3.5m), pipes go up through airing cupboard ceiling, along loft floor and chased down into ensute wall (underneath tiles)

So - what do i do....

I have circled two gate valves in yellow, which im planning to remove and repalce with 1 full bore lever valve, as i think this is restricting the hot flow to the pump.

I was also considering fitting Non return valves (NRV) to both hot and cold pipes exiting the pump (marked yellow). Im no plumber, but in my little head, im thinking the pump may be activating, pushing the water in the pipes, and due to the distance of run, the backpressure of the existing water sitting in pipe is causing the pump to stop, as water then exists through the shower head, flow is detected and pump starts up again - obviously this happens in quick sucession until sitting water is all moving at pumped water speed.

I maybe way off the mark, these were just my initial thoughts...please advise guys/girls

I really appreciate any help offered

Thank you in advance

Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi -

Not pretty i know, not guilty either!

No the ensuite shower is the only one with this problem (the furthest one away from the pump)

Sponsored Links
Do you have any way of clearing the air at the highest points in the pipework ? the hunting can be a symptom of trapped air in the pipework.

Gut feeling is that its air in the pipework

Try running the shower without pump on for 5-10 minutes then turn pump on for 5 secs then off for about a minute repeat this for 5-10 minutes

As has been said its most probably air ...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back