puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can some one advise please,my perm. pilot PUMA is showing wear. I am having to top up the water almost daily to keep the level just inside the green when cold, I ,know that some thing needs repair /replacing but am unable to pin point the problem? asrobs.

Sponsored Links
First thing to check is the open pipe (outside) that leads from the pressure relief valve. It's fairly commonplace for these to leak. If you're competent in plumbing, and understand the important of isolating electrically, then you can replace it without affecting the gas and flue train.

If it's not the PRV, then you have a leak. Check all radiator valve connections first.

I would be checking the expansion vessle first....the big red tank at the back of the boiler. There is a guide to these in the FAQ part at the top of forum. This should be about 1 bar and can be checked with a normal foot pump (when all system pressure has been released!!). If this is flat then it would cause the boiler to overpressurise and the pressure relief valve to lift loosing your water pressure.

If this is the case then as suggested I would also always replace the PRV to stop any further leaks.... you can do this the cheats way and remove the plastic internals from the brass body and swap for new ones....much easier than replacing whole unit.

If both these are ok then its a system leak...get checking for leaks at rads and after that lifting floorboards.

Happy hunting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back