Puma 80

Sponsored Links
park said:
Softus said:
What was the fault, and what was the fix?

The fault - poor hot water temperature when on hot water only.
The fix - reduce the flow rate by altering the MFR.
The boiler is 11 year old, we moved in to the house 18months ago, most of the adjacent houses have had boiler changes, which proves there must have been a problem with the boiler installations in the first place. The estate is only a small one. The british gas service van is never away.

There never was any fault with the boiler!

Just that the owner expected more hot water than the boiler can give and he turned the taps on too much.

Perhaps he adjusts the throttle on his car so that fully down it will not exceed 70 mph ?

Tony

There never was any fault with the boiler!
You are clever, did you think that one out all by yourself :?: :LOL: :LOL:

Just that the owner expected more hot water than the boiler can give and he turned the taps on too much.
Another clever comment, is that your stock comment when you can't sort a boiler problem. "Sorry sir you turned the tap to fully open, the boiler can't cope with that" :LOL: :LOL:

Perhaps he adjusts the throttle on his car so that fully down it will not exceed 70 mph ?

Tony
I ride a bike :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

park said:
Another clever comment, is that your stock comment when you can't sort a boiler problem. "Sorry sir you turned the tap to fully open, the boiler can't cope with that" :LOL: :LOL:

:rolleyes: not often i agree with tony but if you think that is wrong then you are thicker than mud

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: not often i agree with tony but if you think that is wrong then you are thicker than mud
So what you are agreeing to is that, when hot water is required at a sink adjacent to the "boiler" the tap should NOT be turned to the FULLY on position, because the boiler can't produce that much hot water.............go have another think my friend, you live in a different world :eek: :eek:

and what......you reducing a throttle to slow the flow rate is not the same as slowing the flow rate at any tap?....i think you had best go for a lie down mate.

nickso said:
and what......you reducing a throttle to slow the flow rate is not the same as slowing the flow rate at any tap?....i think you had best go for a lie down mate.
Go read the manual on the Potterton Puma 80 my friend - page 19 Commissioning Item 3.6 D.H.W. Flow Rate. ( Should it be desired to set the appliance to give a Higher Temperature Rise............) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Think you should lie down :LOL: :LOL:

:rolleyes:

thats not what you said though was it. can you read?

softus was right you really cant see any sense when its presented to you.

dont bother replying....i wont be if you cant understand the information provided for you.

nickso said:

With the help of my glasses, what I wrote is what I have said all along, suggest you go and read the manual or shut up. :LOL: :LOL:

rob884 said:
:rolleyes: now your just showing off.
You haven't see the bike. :D

bronx_cruiser12.jpg

park said:
nickso said:

With the help of my glasses, what I wrote is what I have said all along, suggest you go and read the manual or shut up. :LOL: :LOL:

you have already slavishly quoted the manual to death. if you turn on a tap no matter how close it is to the boiler and it is above the boilers maximum flow rate it will reduce the temp rise. turning down a throttle in the inlet gives the same effect as turning down the tap. i know you are having trouble with the basics but it really is that simple

You haven't see the bike.

i have no desire to see this persons wife.

if you turn on a tap no matter how close it is to the boiler and it is above the boilers maximum flow rate it will reduce the temp rise.

The design flow rate for a 15mm sink tap is 0.15litres/second or 9litres/min.
Minimum flow rate through the same tap is 0.1litres/second or 6litres/minute
Potterton Puma 80 - design flow rate for D.H.W. = 9.8litres/minute
So the boiler should be able to cope, that is unless it's mid winter and the incoming MCW temperature is very low, since it is the temperature of the incoming MCW that determines the temperature of the DHW at the taps since with a flow rate of 9.8litres/minute, and a temperature rise of 35* you could have a situation where the DHW at the tap is at 45*

If we were talking about a sink with a 3/4" bath tap fitted, then I would agree with you, but we are not. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Final Note on the subject.

Never having liked combi boilers for the very reasons detailed in this thread, the potterton puma 80 (output 24kW) will be replaced with a system boiler (output 15-18kW) since the heating load for the house is only 6-7kW.A small superduty cylinder that complies with section L of the building regulations will provide D.H.W. Control will be via Honeywell "S" plan which will give hot water priority.
This should have the effect of reducing gas & water bills, and provide D.H.W. at a reasonable temperature all the year round.
:p :p :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back