**** Pump and MCBs!

Are you asking even though you agree with me? :)
No. As I said, I am far from being sure as to what the official/legal view would be as to whether the proposed work is notifiable in Wales.

I think we do agree that changing an OPD to one of higher 'rating' (In) 'should' be notifiable, but that's nothing to do with whether or not it is notifiable - only BCOs or, ultimately, Courts can rule on the latter.
Yes. I am confident.
Fair enough.
Are you forgetting the rest of the wording?
No. We know that exclusions (i) and (ii) (which would make the work notifiable) do not apply, but we (sorry, I) am still not sure "what is meant" (which may or may not be the same as the dictionary definition) by "replacing" - which is where I came in :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm hopeful that the 'replacement' MCB will arrive this morning; and further hope that my electrician will fit it later today. (Making other arrangements for my grey water is a pain.) It'll be intersting to see whether he has a view... But thanks for the debate. Am I correct in thinking there are many such dilemmas in amongst the regs?

Personall, I would not say "many". I would say "a few".

I'm hopeful that the 'replacement' MCB will arrive this morning; and further hope that my electrician will fit it later today. (Making other arrangements for my grey water is a pain.)
Good to hear that, and I hope that it does arrive and get fitted, and that it solves your problem. Of course, if your electrician is a member of a self-certification scheme, the question of whether or not the work is notifiable becomes almost unimportant (just a very slight additional cost).
It'll be intersting to see whether he has a view... But thanks for the debate. Am I correct in thinking there are many such dilemmas in amongst the regs?
Please let us know if your electrician does have a view.

Secure has said that there are just a few such issues with the regs. I think I would say that there are at least 'a good few'! There are a few things in the regs which seem to make no (or little) sense to many of us, and at least some which appear to be frankly 'wrong'. However, as with the matter that has been discussed here, most of the uncertainties/debates relate to ambiguity or lack of clarity - due to such matters as the absence of adequate definitions of words (as in this case), poor wording or inadequate data. Since these matters virtually never get into Court, there is never any legal clarification, which in effect means that individual Building Control Officers make their own interpretations.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose it depends on your definition of "few" and "many".

Given the number of regulations and tables in there and the fact this is a document compiled by committee, you would expect some errors.

Some of the issues are down to how the wording is interpreted.

As to why they have not been gradually removed over the years, or the phrasing tightened up, well - that's a question for them.

Have you asked them?

Electrician been and gone, MCB 'replaced' and poo pumping away again! His view: absolutely not notifiable. Justification: a fixed installation has been replaced due to failure, and required a higher rated MCB for it to function. This, with 2.5mm sq cable is perfectly acceptable; and the 16A doo da, up from 10A, is a like for like replacement insofar as it enables the kit to function safely.

Interestingly, as a person who was positive I could have changed it myself (wished I had when I paid!), I would have had problems... The 21+ year old original had little plastic tabs into which you slip a flat screwdriver to unlock the bottom from the rail. It had become frail and snapped off. I think my response would have been, "Blimey, now what?" He simply slackened every MCB, dropped the bus bar and lifted the offender out. On with the new, and bus back on. Easy.

Hope he checked each MCB was secure after tightening back up.

The 21+ year old original had little plastic tabs into which you slip a flat screwdriver to unlock the bottom from the rail. It had become frail and snapped off. I think my response would have been, "Blimey, now what?" He simply slackened every MCB, dropped the bus bar and lifted the offender out. On with the new, and bus back on. Easy.

That is the only way on that range board regardless of if the clips ok , you have to drop the busbar

Minor works cert to follow (I have used him before- it will arrive), he made a thorough check of all the MCBs, and explained to me what the ramifications of not are; and checked the neutral too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back