Pump choice: Wilo Gold RS50 or RS60?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Wilo Gold RS60 is a bit over spec for my system, but would there be any problems in fitting this instead of an RS50?

Sponsored Links
as you have told us nothing about your system............
I just wondered if it would be a problem in principle, but here goes:
Viessmann Vitodens 100C compact
Wilo Gold RS50 pump
Honeywell V4073 3-Port Mid-Position Valve
Cledhill indirect cylinder, 117 litres
9 radiators of mixed sizes in 6 rooms and 2 hallways

With nine rads and a condensing boiler the RS50 should be fine.

Tony

Sponsored Links
With nine rads and a condensing boiler the RS50 should be fine.

Tony
I am not sure if my existing RS50 is performing up to par (it is running at speed 3). I could swap it out for an identical model but, having possible flow problems, I wondered if the RS60 might help (only £6 quid more). Would there be any problem with this?

IIRC from your other thread, your system worked properly before your current problems started.

If the pump has failed, replace it with the same model.

IIRC from your other thread, your system worked properly before your current problems started.

If the pump has failed, replace it with the same model.
Thanks for noticing that! Yes, it was running at speed 3. Is it normal to run pumps at their highest speed?

Is it normal to run pumps at their highest speed?

It depends on the system - a one bedroom flat might be perfectly ok on speed 1, a big house would need more. Also minimum flow rate for the boiler, microbore or small bore etc.

Unless you're getting pump-over, leave it on the highest speed while you're sorting your system out. Once it's all working properly you can see if it would be ok on speed 2.

thank you for the relevant spec.

yes a 15/50 should be ok on your system I would only specify a 15/60 over 10 rads or 3 floors

the size of system you have would normally circulate on setting 2

Unless you're getting pump-over, leave it on the highest speed while you're sorting your system out. Once it's all working properly you can see if it would be ok on speed 2.
The pump runs continuously while the system is switched on, and runs for about 15 minutes after it switches off. Is that called 'pump-over'?
When my new boiler was installed 3 years ago, speed 2 seemed too week to heat the system properly. I switched to speed 3 but it caused a thump in the system when the pump switched off. A few months later, the thumping had disappeared.

thank you for the relevant spec.

yes a 15/50 should be ok on your system I would only specify a 15/60 over 10 rads or 3 floors

the size of system you have would normally circulate on setting 2
So, with 9 rads, the RS50 is working near its upper limit? If I have more bends and junctions than usual, then speed 3 might be necessary?
I ask this because my installer said to me that a T-junction on the return might have the joining pipe pushed into the straight pipe a bit to far, restricting the flow.

The pump runs continuously while the system is switched on, and runs for about 15 minutes after it switches off. Is that called 'pump-over'?

No, that's pump overrun which is normal.

Pumping over is when water is pumped up the vent pipe, and then cascades into the f&e cistern - this is very bad for the system as it adds oxygen to the water.

my installer said to me that a T-junction on the return might have the joining pipe pushed into the straight pipe a bit to far, restricting the flow

This needs checking out before replacing lots of expensive parts!

Pumping over is when water is pumped up the vent pipe, and then cascades into the f&e cistern.
My vent pipe is behind the pump - not that it makes much difference for pumping over. The Y-Plans I have seen have it in front.
my installer said to me that a T-junction on the return might have the joining pipe pushed into the straight pipe a bit to far, restricting the flow
This needs checking out before replacing lots of expensive parts!
I have already been stung for over £250 on boiler bits!

Any normal system working properly should work fine with the pump set at "2".

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back