pump location

mw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber round the other day to help me with some on going problems.

He mentioned that my pump which is situated directly above my boiler (kitchen wall) is pushing the water round the system instead of sucking it?
So it was on the forward loop not the return.

Is this incorrect ???? or can you have it in this location??. he thought it was a bit strange

Sponsored Links
It's the normal configuration nowadays, as it puts most of the system under positive pressure, so if you have a leak, everyone can see. If the pump is on the return side of the boiler the system is under negative pressure and so air can get sucked in through the leaks that you now don't know about because there's no water getting out.

As long as it aint pulling air there is not a problem re manufacturers requiements

It is best practise thou to have it on the flow

so yes a bit strange but eh if it aint broke etc etc

Sponsored Links
Just puzzelled, how does the pump on the flow make it positive pressure, when the pump on the return is pushing into the boiler and then around system so is it not the same or is the pressure lost in the boiler or up the expansion pipe when pump is on the return.

You have to have a neutral point somewhere and its the feed tank and the vent pipe. If the pump is just afer it, its input is near neutral, so its output is positive. If its miles after it, its input is negative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back