Pump on all time and system need reseting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have two problems with my cental heating system. Not sure are they related or not.

My house and so is the heating system is just over 3 years old. It is an unvented system, i.e., got no cold water tank and an air pressure drum. The boiler is Potterton Suprima and using Potterton control.

1st problem is from time to time, my boiler went dead which require resetting. Very easy as there is a button for that purpose. It happened rarely until about 2 months ago. It kept need resetting. Sometimes twice a day. After about 2 weeks, it function as usual again. I am a bit concerned on the source of the problem. One thing I notice is the pressure gauge shown 2 bar, where a red needle is, when the heating is on. Is there anything wrong with this and what may be the cause for the need for resetting?

2nd problem is I notice recently (not sure was it there before) the circulating pump is ON all the time, irrespective whether the heating is on or off. I can always hear the pump is on as the humming noise is very noticeable. But I always assume that is normal when the heating is on. Only yesterday, I noticed the humming noise was there in the middle of night. So I looked at it this morning and noticed that noise is from the circulating pump. There is setting between 1 to 3. It was on 3. The noise is a lot less when I switched it to 2, but it is still there. And the pump is touching hot too. Is is normal for the pump to be on all the time? I can't quite see the reason behind it.

Your help on this is much appreciated.

Freddie

Sponsored Links
Either the pump's wired wrongly, which will make the pcb lock out but PERMANENTLY, so unlikely
Or the PCB is knackered. Lots of posts on Suprima pcb's

If it's locking out & the pump is on all the time then it's the PCB AGAIN!!.

Thank you guys. Talk about joining the club!

I went to press the reset button and the pump has now stopped. Finger X the heating is coming on later.

So I can try to buy a board from eBay and that should solve my problem. Accoring to other thread, the parts number is 5111603. Is the PCB usable for all different models? My boiler is Surpima 50.

The next question is, how can Potterton survive at all by selling dodgy boiler? And why developers even consider buying thier boilers en mass when there is such a well known problem, bear in mind they need to fix it when the fault is known within the warranty period.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back