Pump Stays On!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. The pump on my central heating system is on staying on, even when the heating or hot water is off!

I've had a look at the 2 (2 port) motorised valves in the system and they seem to be working ok.

I have an 8 year old Megaflow pressurised system - installed when the house was built.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like faulty overrun - which boiler do you have?

It's an Ideal Classic - the only reference that I can find on it is FF260.

Hope it makes sense to you!

I should have mentioned before that I had an intermittent problem with one of the motorised valves about 4 years ago. A piece of plastic on the actuator had broken off and caused the pump to stay on. I could sort this out temporarily by 'wiggling' the actuator to trigger the microswitch! I managed to fix this permanently and have had no problems since. The difference this time is that the microswitch seems to being triggered ok!

If you're comfortable with live electrics you need to turn off the power to the heating system, take the cover off the wiring center and remove the 2 orange wires from the zone valve.

Turn power back on with programmer off for ch and hw. Whichever orange wire is live is the valve head that is faulty. The microswitch will have stuck on.

If it is the hw then get it replaced asap as the second function of this valve is as a failsafe for the megaflo should the boiler not switch off.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

I am comfortable with live electrics, but not sure what you mean by the wiring centre - where do I find this? Is it next to the cylinder or in the boiler?

Assuming that it is the microswitch, can I replace just that or will I need a new motorised valve?

Thanks

The wiring centre is usually in the airing cupboard where all the wires go into, it may be surface mounted or may behind a blanking plate.

Thanks Dave, just been upstairs and found the wiring centre.

Found the 2 orange wires too!!

As per my previous post, assuming that it is the microswitch, can I replace just that or will I need a new motorised valve?

Dave, thanks for this...having looked around, I can only seem to buy the whole thing.

Can you advise/recommend where I can buy just the head from.

Really grateful for your help.

bcfcjwb1 said:
One is a Sunvic and the other is a ACL Drayton Lifestyle.

Thanks

Sunvic you can change the head but the chances are the lifestyle will need complete replacement as it was only the most recent models that are removable and they have a little black push button opposite th A B indicator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back