puppy help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just got a 10wk old golden labrador puppy :)
kc + pedigree for only £200,bit of a bargain as she is absolutly gorgeous & good for my 5yr old twins.
as i've never had a dog before hopefully someone can help me with a few questions?
the puppy sleeps quite alot after having a mad half hour running about like a mad thing?
i've heard stories about hip displacia/eye problems?
any advice would be appreciated as she is now one of the family.

Sponsored Links
All I can say is "ohmygodwhathaveyoudone"?

See here for help with your queries.

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/TN131.html

My 5 yo wants a dog when the cat dies (charming - the cat although 13 is in excellent health and shows absolutely no signs of turning his claws up!)

I shall try to resist!!

dogs are so loyal & ask for nothing but love and attention. :D
kids are so disabedient and ask for everything but we give them nothing but love & attention :D

So you see what five minutes of horseplay can lead to !

Sponsored Links
I think the most important is to take any new pet to the vet for a full MOT ;)

I'd be annoyed at any pet of mine p*ssing itself everytime it saw me, hows that for gratitude :!: :LOL:

Wouldn't give the p***ing a second thought, its still a pup, its just excited and this will stop.

I've had many dogs including a golden retriever, there must be no better choice of dog to have around children. They are lovely loyal dogs.

I would suggest you get it on the dried food whilst it is young. It is cheaper, cleaner(doesn't attract as many flies)and generally better for the dog than the watery c**p in tins. Kennels or pet shops have it in big bags.

Also get it used to being brushed as they tend to moult a lot and the light fur really stands out all over the house!

Otherwise just enjoy it.

I used to have a Golden Labrador (which I believe have very similar personalities to retreivers). I have to agree with securespark here. They may grow out of the p*ssing with excitment, but they just NEVER grow up.

The fact that they are so good with children just makes things worse. Trouble is the kids spoil them something rotten, then, in due course, loose interest, but the dog still expect the same level of the attention.

The're right manipulative s*ds too. If they havn't had enough attention, (which means you have left them alone for five minutes), they go into a sulk and make you feel guilty!

Do yourself a favour, get rid of it now, before you become attached to it. You know it makes sense. :LOL:

Never had a dog myself, but you know when you go in someone's house and you KNOW they have a dog just from the smell? If you bathe them say, once a week, does it stop the smell? And I mean so even non dog owners wouldn't smell it.

It isn't good to overwash a dog and would never get rid of the smell which is natural and normal. Dogs stink, if you don't like it don't have one. Smells are worse when silly people have a large dog, in the wrong environment. EG Alsation or rottweiler in a flat or WHY.

I have had dogs ,as pets, most of my life, but haven't got one at the moment. Even so, if anybody ever came into my house and said they didn't like the smell of my dog(or cats) it would be them that would have to leave, however this as never happened. I have always had gardens and don't let them sleep on the furniture etc.

i find a washing machine on hot wash gets rid of the dogs smell but it all depends on what washing powder u use. Ariel is good :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back