Push fit fittings leaking everywhere!!

Sorry, got it the wrong way around I guess!

In that case I have no idea why they're leaking, other than because they're cheap modern tat which is destined to fail! :LOL:

Push fit is probably the micro-bore pipe of the 2000's. ie everybody is going to be cursing it and replacing it in 15 years time when there's water spraying out of every orifice, floor and wall.

Sponsored Links
I am already seeing the massive benefits of plastic installs done as little as 7 years ago, in some months i am ripping out and re-piping plastic to copper at the same rate as i am doing new plastic installs :LOL:

People at the start of the housing ladder want it done cheap and fast, they know they are not going to be there for a massive amount of time, so just don't care about the quality, which is fine by me.

It's real bummer trying to file those damned o-rings.

In my limited experience, if the fittings were in good condition but leaked there are two usual causes

1) the tube wall was damaged (scratched or dented) so the o-ring didn't have a smooth round surface to seal onto

2) the tube wasn't inserted through the o-ring

3) the tube tore the o-ring possibly due to burrs on the cut end

4) any combination of the above

Oh, and I can't count either

Fitting to copper pipe the only normal cause that I would expect is that the "O" ring had been damaged by a burr on the end of the copper.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ok, so I re-did all of my plastic onto copper connections again, this time using a dedicated plastic pipe cutter and tidying up my copper pipe with wire wool. I also used some grease to ease the pipes into the fittings to prevent any seals getting snagged and there are now no leaks.

I suspect that my pipe cuts probably just weren't good enough. Oh, and to clear up one theory; I have metric pipes.

I tested the system to 1.5 bar for about 10 minutes. Should I be happy now to put my floorboards back down?

Actually, it was pipe lubricant - I was just generalising.

I've decided to fit my radiators and test the system another couple of times before I cover everything over - but basically if it's ok now; I don't see why any failure would be delayed in emerging given that the whole system has been charged.

The main reasons you get leaks with Pushfit is due to installer error.
All the major manufacturers, hep20, Speedfit, poly fit carry warranties up to 50 years when used as per their installation guides.
This can be cutting the pipe (copper or plastic) with a hacksaw and the burrs damaging the "O" ring, not pushing the pipe fully in, not using an insert in plastic pipe.
Pressure testing depends on the type of fitting, the grip first / O ring second type should be tested to at least 1.5 times the working pressure. The reverse configuration (Polyplumb) should be tested to 18 bar.

All the major manufacturers, hep20, Speedfit, poly fit carry warranties up to 50 years when used as per their installation guides.
This can be cutting the pipe (copper or plastic) with a hacksaw and the burrs damaging the "O" ring, not pushing the pipe fully in, not using an insert in plastic pipe.
Pressure testing depends on the type of fitting, the grip first / O ring second type should be tested to at least 1.5 times the working pressure. The reverse configuration (Polyplumb) should be tested to 18 bar.

I can add, from hard-won experience, no 'O' ring in the fitting (fresh from the pack - not tampered with), no grab-ring in fitting (fresh from the pack not tampered with).

You can guess that I now do a visual of every fitting before pushing pipe into it.

DH

I can add, from hard-won experience, no 'O' ring in the fitting (fresh from the pack - not tampered with), no grab-ring in fitting (fresh from the pack not tampered with).

You can guess that I now do a visual of every fitting before pushing pipe into it.

DH

I'm sure it can happen, that's why I said the main reason and not "the reason" also another reason why you should always carry out a pressure test (as well as a visual)

Pretty sure the instructions say to check the fitting before assembling the joint. ;).

Have only ever had casting defects in a few Tectite fittings years ago.

Not had any leaks from properly assembled joints on any kind of pushfit. Although I have come across plenty of crapply installed JG stuff that looked like it was about to pop.

I was never sure if it was the fitting or the fixing of the fitting, but I only use JG as a temporary measure where i can help it.

Such a shame my regular merchant stopped selling Tectite - despite the fault mentioned above - I trusted the fittings much more than I do the current crop from the big players.

BTW - I an referring to the Tectite Classic and pro range - not the p*key sprint stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back