Push fit fittings leaking everywhere!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please...

I'm burying all my CH Pipework in my walls, so have connected onto existing copper pipework under floorboards and fed Pipework into channels in my walls. Before I cover up my connections, I thought I should check them so ran some water around the system and water has ****ed out of most of the connections I've made onto the copper pipe.

I've used JG Speedfit products and really don't know what I could have possibly got wrong!! Any ideas?[/i]

Sponsored Links
Common problems inc. not inserting stiffening part into each end of pipe- I forget the proper name. Or there is nicks or scoring in the pipe if not cut properly, i.e, cut with blunt hacksaw in the dark...

That said my only use of JG s'fit was pretty much as yours. Most joins leaked.
I doubt you'll ever get a vendor to agree that its a fault as there is so much room for installer error.

On our bathroom install I ended up soldering almost all in copper, other than getting crazy bends inside and around stair case.

There are sure to be some zealots of S'fit coming along sooner or later, but a lot of 'old hands' will run S'fit down like its a sport....

Sponsored Links
Did you make sure the copper was pushed in home as far as it would go?
Did you twist the collar on the pushfits?

How did you cut the copper ? Should always use a slice and smear a bit of silicone grease (or spit) on the o'rings of the fittings then lock into position. That said i personally would never bury pushfit fittings.

Some love them, some hate them but I've never had an issue with Speedfit to copper. Cut plastic pipe with JG tool (not hacksaw), fit insert, make sure copper pipe has proper pipe cut end and wire wooled, whack in and tighten lock clamp. If that leaks I favour the other poster's suggestion about the copper pipe size.

I've bought some more fittings and a fresh pair of pipe cutters. I'll re-do the connections and report back!

I've not has any problem with jd speedfit.

I went to a house that was damaged by ice a couple of years back.

The jd speedfit was the only variety of plastic fitting that hadn't failed.

hep2, polypipe failed here and there.

I've not has any problem with jd speedfit.

I went to a house that was damaged by ice a couple of years back.

The jd speedfit was the only variety of plastic fitting that hadn't failed.

hep2, polypipe failed here and there.

+1

I've seen 2 inch splits in a copper pipe near to a fitting that held. They're like anything, if not used properly they will fail.

Do push fit fittings seal properly on imperial pipe?

Old imperial pipe is slightly smaller than the new 15mm stuff, compression and solder fittings are tolerant of this difference, not sure about speedfit.

Soldered joints are the way to go - not only are they the cheapest but they're by far the most reliable. I'd hesitate about putting push fit fittings anywhere not accessible.

Old imperial pipe is slightly smaller than the new 15mm stuff, compression and solder fittings are tolerant of this difference, not sure about speedfit.

Soldered joints are the way to go - not only are they the cheapest but they're by far the most reliable. I'd hesitate about putting push fit fittings anywhere not accessible.

A different imperial to what come across then! - 1/2" is slightly bigger and is why a 15mm end feed coupling is always so tight if you try to use them connecting to imperial. with tolerances you can sometime use a 15mm end feed coupling, but only just. With push fits rubber ring I would expect they would just about fit. Speedfit do a special coupler

As above ½" is slightly bigger so the fitting should be a tighter fit if pushed on properly - in theory :)

A different imperial to what come across then! - 1/2" is slightly bigger and is why a 15mm end feed coupling is always so tight if you try to use them connecting to imperial. with tolerances you can sometime use a 15mm end feed coupling, but only just. With push fits rubber ring I would expect they would just about fit.

Couple of mins with the file that I carry in tool bag, and 15mm end feed slips nicely onto imp. pipe. Just don't try this with push-fit. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back