Push fit glands leaking

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an outside light run in T&E in black plastic conduit. The switch stopped working and the RCD was nusiance tripping.

On opening the switch I found it was full of water. The switch is a BG slimline IP67. The conduit enters through the top using a black push fit gland and I think water is leaking into the switch through the gland.

Have you seen these glands? Are they suitable and when I refit the new switch how should I prevent water ingress? Should I be gluing the gland on, to seal it? It was just pushed on. Otherwise I could replace with a traditional compression gland.

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the waters not coming down INSIDE the pipe, top entry is always best avoided if possible,

The switch is likely to need a drain hole at the bottom. Water vapour condenses in the switch housing and this draws in more vapour through the conduit of there is a warm moist atmosphere at the other end of the conduit.

Click HERE
2. Where conduit is used for cable runs, water condensation MUST be prevented from collecting inside the unit & conduit. Drain holes MUST be drilled out (see Installation Instructions)

Sponsored Links
I don't think this was condensation, the box was literally full of water. Pic of the switch and gland below. I can't seem to find anything like it at Screwfix. Is that a recognised type of gland for external use? It pushes onto the conduit and into the box.

Drilling a weep hole is a good idea. I still want to stop water getting in in the first place!

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 157
looks like cheap crap!
Use copious amounts of silicone sealant when refitting :)

I don't think this was condensation, the box was literally full of water. Pic of the switch and gland below. I can't seem to find anything like it at Screwfix. Is that a recognised type of gland for external use? It pushes onto the conduit and into the box.

Drilling a weep hole is a good idea. I still want to stop water getting in in the first place!
That's not a gland, it's a simple conduit terminator to permit a conduit to connect to an enclosure

Supposedly, but just being shoved into the hole it is inevitable that it will leak.
This is far better: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53577
with either solvent cement or superglue to permanently seal it to the conduit and the box.
That's not a gland either. Without a sealing washer water will seep past the threads and unless the conduit is weld sealed into it water will seep into the enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back