Push fit(?) pipe fittings removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
45D1EF90-B474-477A-8E70-8252BE2C0F42.jpeg
Hi all as above I have some pipe fittings that look like they are push fit . I need to fit a new tap how do i remove the existing pipes and can the fittings be re used ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Press the grey part down so it's flush against the white part, then the whole thing just pulls off.
If it's been there for years, substantial force may be required.

Pull down the grey collar ,towards the white fitting ,keep it there whilst pulling the white fitting off the pipe ,slightly twisting it

Thanks all hopefully will put out easily .. when replacing the pipes do you need to apply any twisting motion etc ? Thanks s lot

Sponsored Links
As above posts, pull grey collar down and twist and pull the joint off.
The Speedfit fittings are supposed to be reusable, but could leak if you did reuse them.
The seal O ring inside the fitting can get damaged once you twist or remove the fitting.
If it looks okay you could use a slight smear of silicone grease (suitable for drinking water) on end of pipe. Cut any pipes with pipe cutters obviously.
Personally I bin those and pipe in all hard copper

You should ensure the copper supply pipe is smooth and clean and shiny ,wire wool is good for this , where it is entering the fitting ( one inch or so ). Although the flexi hose can be re fitted ,in my view its best to fit new ones. They rely on a rubber O ring to make a watertight seal ,and it may not be in very good condition. They just push onto the copper pipe , wetting the pipe a little will provide lubrication.

Thanks all hopefully will put out easily .. when replacing the pipes do you need to apply any twisting motion etc ? Thanks s lot

Yes, helps to turn the fitting or pipe as you push it on.
Use some silicone grease.
On a brand new fitting the internal O ring will be slightly lubricated, whereas your fittings will be dry and more likely to damage if not lubed

Isolate the supplies to the flexis and leave the taps open, this will take any pressure off the fittings and will make it easier to remove them... Have a bowl underneath as you'll get water out of the opened taps as they drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back