Putrid Shower plumbing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putrid smell coming from trap of ensuite shower that hasn't been used in over three months, main bathroom shower being preferred. Tried all sorts of cleaning products but water all disappears, no lying water in trap, can also feel air coming up trap. Any ideas? :cry:

Sponsored Links
If the trap isn't trapping water it's not doing it's job, that's why you get the smell, open vent straight from the sewers.

Sooey, when you say:
"Open vent straight from sewer"
Do you mean that there IS an open vent or that I SHOULD open a vent straight from the sewer??
Thanks for any help.

He's saying that the sewer with all it's smells is venting into your bathroom because there is no water in the trap to create a seal. Does the water disappear instantly or does the level go down after a period of time? Either way you need to find out why the trap isn't sealing.

Sponsored Links
The water is going fairly quickly. Is this something I can figure out or do I need a plumber?

Can you get access under the trap to see if there are any obvious leaks? If you can, then you could probably fix it yourself. I can only think that the trap must be damaged in some way or if it has a screw on base, it could be cross threaded or not tight enough. Or the compression joint is leaking.

If there's no leak, google "siphonic action". Or fit an anti syphon trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back