Putting a downstairs toilet under stairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife is going into the childminding business and we thought it may be better to put a loo and hand basin downstairs so we only have to make sure the downstairs is ofsted approved.

The under stairs cupboard currently has our washing machine installed so there is a water supply already in situ along with the main stopcock. the cupboard is also directly below the upstairs bathroom with the stink pipe accessed directly through the wall.

The stink pipe is cast iron. I am quite handy at plumbing and have done many successful projects how straight forward is this job going to be? Ive never installed a wc before!

I should also mention that the cupboard is across the hall from the kitchen and is more than big enough for accommodating a low level wc.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
The stink pipe is cast iron. I am quite handy at plumbing and have done many successful projects how straight forward is this job going to be? Ive never installed a wc before!

cutting in a branch on a cast soil pipe is not for the faint hearted

the rest is straight foreward enough

might be worth getting a decent oldish plumber in to do the stack :idea:

cutting in a branch on a cast soil pipe is not for the faint hearted

the rest is straight foreward enough

might be worth getting a decent oldish plumber in to do the stack :idea:

Thanks Kevplumb, you can now see from my other post why I am moving our washing machine! :LOL:

As a DIYer, I cut a cast iron stack with my 9" disk cutter and fitted a "timesaver" fitting, which meant I didnt need to dislodge the stack.

From there, it is a case of having the right adaptors in the branch for your loo.

Mind you, my pipe was on a flat wall, outside, with good access for my disk cutter. Check the stack is stable before starting as you don't want the free upper portion to fall before you have the timesaver clamped up.

Website for timesaver

http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/soildrain/index.cfm?page= Timesaver BS 416-183

Sponsored Links
Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted to use a S*n*f*o.

Ensure the system has ample rodding points. If you've ever had an action man get stuck round your u-bend you'll understand.

As a DIYer, I cut a cast iron stack with my 9" disk cutter and fitted a "timesaver" fitting, which meant I didnt need to dislodge the stack.

From there, it is a case of having the right adaptors in the branch for your loo.

Mind you, my pipe was on a flat wall, outside, with good access for my disk cutter. Check the stack is stable before starting as you don't want the free upper portion to fall before you have the timesaver clamped up.

Website for timesaver

http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/soildrain/index.cfm?page= Timesaver BS 416-183[/QUOTE]

I have good access to do this, I'll give it a go!

Hi again, just read somewhere that this is notifiable. Is this the case and why?
There is already a water supply in the cupboard, is this just a money making thing or are there legitimate reasons for these fees?

Sorry, having a rant! :mad:

Hi again, just read somewhere that this is notifiable. Is this the case and why?
There is already a water supply in the cupboard, is this just a money making thing or are there legitimate reasons for these fees?

Sorry, having a rant! :mad:

Hi, can someone confirm that this is a notifiable job, cheers?!?

you get caught

then you get taken to the town square have your britches removed and get a public spanking offa a viking with a soggy kipper :LOL:

not a lot as long as its not silly ;)

well worse they will tell u can`t use it
and i would use hack saw as if some thing goes wromg with power tool u may be up sheep creak with out paddle

Does cast iron cut with a hacksaw easily and how straightforward is it to get a straight enough cut for the fittings?

I found my 9" disc cut the pipe very cleanly and square. I find the electric 9" disc cutter much more controllable than the petrol 12" saws which can get a bit out of hand especially when used horizontally. No doubt practice would improve my skill with the petrol saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back