Putting a freezer in the loft :p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kind of loud freezer, and as my kitchen connects to my living room, it can be quite audible. It's not a major issue, but it got me thinking about how it would be nice to be able to sit and watch TV in a bit more quiet, as my fridge makes no noise.

I'm toying with the idea of sticking the freezer in my loft space. This is my question. My loft space connects to my bedroom through a big wooden door on the wall, which I just walk through when I want to get in to the loft. Right next to the door there is an electric socket. I use one for my router, and the other one is unused. What would be involved in drilling a hole in the wall, plugging the freezer in to the socket, and feeding the socket wire through the hole in to the loft? Obviously I would have to play with the power plug, as it isn't going to go through the hole.

Sponsored Links
Aside from the electrical connection, if the freezer is audible enough to affect your TV viewing, isn't it going to be loud enough to keep you awake at night?

Also, freezers can be heavy items so you would need to be sure the support in the loft is sufficient for the weight of the freezer and contents.

One of the experts on here (there are a number of them) will advise you regarding the electrical issue but I imagine you could remove the plug, drill a hole in the wall then feed the appliance cable from the freezer through the hole then re-fit a plug, plug it into the double socket and switch on.

Wait for expert advice on this though...

Aside from the electrical connection, if the freezer is audible enough to affect your TV viewing, isn't it going to be loud enough to keep you awake at night? ... Also, freezers can be heavy items so you would need to be sure the support in the loft is sufficient for the weight of the freezer and contents.
Both very valid points.
One of the experts on here (there are a number of them) will advise you regarding the electrical issue but I imagine you could remove the plug, drill a hole in the wall then feed the appliance cable from the freezer through the hole then re-fit a plug, plug it into the double socket and switch on.
Provided that it is known, and can be confirmed, that the socket in question is on a sockets circuit (and not a lighting circuit - which is not impossible if it's only be used for a router), then I see no electrical problem in doing as you describe.

Kind Regards, John

Can't see an obvious electrical problem either.

But I would like to point out it's a crazy place to put it.

Sponsored Links
Do you really want to have to go into the loft to put things in & take others out? It will be a real pain in the backside when you come to defrost it.

Do you really want to have to go into the loft to put things in & take others out? It will be a real pain in the backside when you come to defrost it.
Could be a bungalow. They have lofts

How about buying a new freezer if the item is old?

Would that not be more sensible?

Last edited:
Do you think it would suit him?

space-cadet-costume-889471.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back