Putting a upvc door in a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new front door fitted and am going to put the old front door in the side wall of my garage,

How much bigger than the door do i cut out?

Do i have to put it on the sill or can it go straight on the brick?

Does it go onto the damp course?

Do i need a lintel?

When fitting the frame do i take the door off the hinges and fit the frame seperately then put the door back on?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Door needs to be plumb, I'd allow the cut out to be 20mm larger than the door itself, give yourself 20mm on the height as well.
Sit the door on a new sill, most likely a 150mm one.
Sit the sill on the damp course, might have a step over though.
Lintel?? Dependant on roof structure and weight load above door, I would say yes.
Taking the door off does make it easier, make sure you have the clearance to get the door back on before fixing. Also make sure the door is plumb, you don't want any twists when the door goes back on

The problem I have is that if I put it on a sill I don't think the door will fit underneath the joists let alone put a lintel on.

What measurement have you got from dpc to the joist??
What is the door height??

Sponsored Links
Yeah,i won't be able to fit a lintel in but its not a major problem imo,i may put a noggin in the 2 joists that won't be supported,1 in each side so they r supported by the joist that is on the wall,if that makes sense lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back