Putting a washing machine in a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has mentioned that he would like to move the washing machine into the garage due to the noise. One thing which worries me though is low tempretures, I belive washing machines can be damaged if exposed to freezing tempretures even if not operating. I suppose I could place a heater in the garage with a thermostat set to just above freezing to help prevent freezing inside but that still leaves the supply pipe vulerable. Is there any type of pipe which will not be damaged by freezing?

Sponsored Links
no as the water expands by 10%
you could lagg it or put a bypass rad in their
and a frost stat

Does no-one make pipe which can cope with 10% expension? Maybe somekind of flexable rubber like matirial?

If it's a garage that's integral with the house, it's unlikely to drop below freezing except in very severe weather and/or when the rest of the house is unoccupied and the central heating is off. I certainly have unlagged cold water pipes in my garage which have never frozen in the 15 years I've lived there, even in the -17degC winter lows we had last year.

I would install a low-wattage tubular heater with a frost stat.

And also a quarter-turn lever valve inside the house which can be used to isolate the water supply to the washing machine whenever it's not in use, which would at least avoid a catastrophic flood if the worst happened. Obviously, this is only of any use if everyone who uses the machine gets into good habits and turns off the water when the machine's unloaded. Incidentally, this is what washing machine manufacturers recommend anyway, although 99.9% of people don't bother.

Sponsored Links
It's a semi-deteched garage, I say semi as there is a car-port structure between the house and the garage though which I'd like to route the pipe. The pipe would be 'outside' for about 3m. I suppose the ideal solution would be to bury the pipe but that would mean digging up the floor of the garage, the kitchen floor and a chunk of the driveway which is alot of work and mess. I reakon putting lots of lagging on it and fitting a valve inside the house to turn it off when not in use should suffice.

move the washing machine into the garage due to the noise.
How much noise does it make? Washing machines in general should not make lots of noise.
If it does, it either isn't installed properly (not level) or it's time for a new washing machine.

I don't have a decibel meter but I have to turn up the TV to be able to hear it while the washer is spinning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back