Putting downstairs sockets on seperate cu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I posted a few weeks ago about trying to find a RCBO for an oldish proteus cu for my downstairs sockets. I am struggling to get one and the guy at CEF said I would be better fitting a seperate RCD protected cu just to feed the downstairs sockets. I have read a lot of posts about using henley blocks to split the meter tails but I dont really want to start messing about getting my supplier in etc. Am I right in saying that i could feed a new cu from the existing mcb on the original cu. If so, could someone explain what I will need in terms of material. Do I use my existing 32a mcb and feed to a new 30a RCD cu with 2.5 and use another 32a mcb in the new cu to reconnect the circuit. I dont intend doing this myself but I need to buy the material and the guy at CEF is a bit condescending so a bit of useful background knowledge would help. Also as its not a new circuit and using the same sized mcb would it come under minor work?

Sponsored Links
No point messing around with submains and extra CUs to achieve what you want, just bang a standalone RCD in a suitable enclosure between the 32A MCB and the circuit :)

All you need is a 30ma RCD rated at 32A or greater (hager 30ma 63A devices are as cheap as chips on TLC), a two module enclosure, some 4mm² or 6mm² T+E, and some fixings

Hi Guys, I posted a few weeks ago about trying to find a RCBO for an oldish proteus cu for my downstairs sockets. I am struggling to get one and the guy at CEF said I would be better fitting a seperate RCD protected cu just to feed the downstairs sockets.
Or having the CU replaced?

I have read a lot of posts about using henley blocks to split the meter tails but I dont really want to start messing about getting my supplier in etc.
Although technically illegal, most electricians will happily cut the fuse seal and remove the fuse so that they can do work like this. They have no desire to wait around for someone to turn up either.

Am I right in saying that i could feed a new cu from the existing mcb on the original cu.
You can't (should not), but it can be done.

If so, could someone explain what I will need in terms of material.
Surely the easiest way is to let your electrician provide the materials?

Do I use my existing 32a mcb and feed to a new 30a RCD cu with 2.5 and use another 32a mcb in the new cu to reconnect the circuit.
You don't (should not), but your electrician will know how to do the job.

I dont intend doing this myself but I need to buy the material and the guy at CEF is a bit condescending so a bit of useful background knowledge would help.
As I said - why isn't your electrician buying the materials? He'll get a better price than you.

Also as its not a new circuit and using the same sized mcb would it come under minor work?
Installing a CU is not minor work, but your electrician will know that, and will issue the correct certificate.

It's also notifiable, so it would make sense for you to use a registered electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back