putting electricity in shed.

Not open for further replies.
25 Mar 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Want to put electricity into garden shed, to power a extra freezer. Can anybody tell me the best way to go about it i.e. cable size, fuses etc etc. Wont do it myself, but want to have everything at hand for Sparky to spend as little time as poss on the job! ;) (£££!) Shed is 8 metres from house and cable needs to run about 7 metres through loft to fuse box. cheers
Sponsored Links
best way is to use 4mm (possibly 6) SWA with a 32A MCB at CU and put a mini CU at other end
If the supply is just for the freezer::::

Put new 20A MCB in your house consumer unit

Run 4mm T+E from this to an adaptable box (in the loft probably), where it will change to 4mm 3Core SWA.

Run this SWA down the house and into a trench in the ground (at least 18inch deep).

In the shed, terminate the SWA in another adaptable box, and run a short piece of 4mm T+E to a socket. Jobs a good un.

There are other ways to do it, but as you are on a budget, this is definitely the cheapest. Depending which electrician you use, they may want to do things differently (or better), best to discuss it with them first before you rush out and buy everything. ;)
notgotfoggyest said:
Want to put electricity into garden shed, to power a extra freezer.
Is the shed heated or unheated?

Will you be wanting to use the freezer year round?

If the answers are "unheated" and "yes", have you checked what minimum ambient temperature your freezer will tolerate and still work in?

It may seem counter-intuitive, but if it gets too cold, fridges and freezers stop working properly. 10°C is not an unusual lower figure that they will work in.

Some go lower, but I don't think any normal domestic ones will work if the outside temperature drops below freezing.

Many people have come unstuck like this - if you haven't bought the freezer yet, check the specs of any you look at very closely...
Sponsored Links
thanks folks, can you also tell me what size of adaptable box is required between t & e and swa. too many to chose from!!!!!
generally the bigger the easier

i'd think a 4x4 would be about right for easilly terminating 4mm swa cable but you could probablly get away with smaller if you are carefull
There's no point struggling. Use one where you can terminate outside the box then have enough room to push the conductors back into the box. Make sure you don't catch the conductors on the box edges or screw a fixing screw into a conductor.
notgotfoggyest said:
thanks folks, can you also tell me what size of adaptable box is required between t & e and swa. too many to chose from!!!!!
Why not let your electrician provide the materials he needs?
Exposing my ignorance for the n'th time today - what is "T+E" ?
T+E is twin and earth, as in cable.

im with BAS here, your sparky is going to want to use his own bits surrely.
at least discuss this with him before buying.
While accepting your points about not rushing in where angels (sparks?) fear to tread, I am not the person who started this thread. I found it during a related search and got confused by the abbreviation.

I work in computers and thought that we were bad enough, but you guys use even more TLA's than we do ;-(

[ that's Three Letter Aronyms for the unitiated]

Many thanks anyways!

You think thats bad, the place where I work have abbreviations within abbreviations :LOL:
Klaus_K said:
I work in computers
doesn't it get a bit cramped?

Anyway, this will now get locked by an eager mod, as you've broken the rule about old posts ;) lol

Right you are, Crafty.

Mod Rupert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links