Putting in a door from the house to the Garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am planning on having a door put in to allow access from the house to the garage.
I have looked this topic up and understand i need a firedoor with associated frames/trimmings etc and also building planning permision. All the posts i have looked at are over a year or more old.

Does anyone know the current 2008/09 requirements for fitting a door to the garage or do they remain unchanged.

Where do i get the building planning consent from?
and is there anything else i should know?
thanks
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
it will be a case of fitting one or two p.c.c. lintels (depending upon wall thickness), the frame, the fire door (1/2 hour check), intumescent strips and a door closer. as long as the garage floor is a minimum of 100mm below the habitable floor then the job should be fairly simple.

you will need a sparky for the light switch alterations though. ;)

noseall";p="1115058 said:
no need for planning but building reg's is what you may need.

it will be a case of fitting one or two p.c.c. lintels (depending upon wall thickness), the frame, the fire door (1/2 hour check), intumescent strips and a door closer. as long as the garage floor is a minimum of 100mm below the habitable floor then the job should be fairly simple.

Sloping floor also acceptable and intumescent strip also needs to incorporate a smoke seal and a self closing device also needed on door.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the help and advice.
One last thing. Do i need to let anybody know that i am having it installed or is it ok as long as it adheres to building regs. Also do i need to get a certificate from the company who installs it to show it adheres to fire regulations? have heard rumours of shoddy workmanship invalidating house insurance.

Yes contact your local authority building control department and tell them your intentions , a building notice application is the way to go. There is a charge for this but will enable you to pick their brains on what you need to do, they are normally a helpful sort, but then I am biased :LOL:
They will then issue you a certificate on completion.
Would you be under the Fenland council?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back