Thoughts on Lean to/Enclosed Walkway connecting house and garage?

SRD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Got an interesting semi DIY project lined up, and wanted thoughts from anyone who's done anything remotely similar, and problems you ran into.

I've got a double story brick house with a detached simple double garage (also brick) sitting to the side.
The garage sits offset to the back, and house extension to the rear forms a kind of courtyard.(see pic)
The whole site is flat and level.

My 1st plan is to build a lean to or more accurately an enclosed patio (single story), that connects the house and garage (in red) - Majority of this work will be by myself.
- It will not be a habitable space. I would best describe it as an enclosed walkway with very simplistic doors. It may be used for tools, bins and so on storage.
- The rear door of the house and the side door of garage will be unchanged, but simply be inside the area.
- At this stage the plan is to concrete the space (in red, and currently has flags on the ground), then erect a patio frame to enclose the whole red area, and be mostly weather proof.
- The enclosed area will use the garage wall and house sides, and the rear side(with simplistic door), plus the roof will be simple flat panel clear polycarbonate (for strength, weight, cost and UV benefits). The goal is to have a simple structure with seamless joins in the polycarbonate.
- I've informally checked with the relevant council ( they have online checklists) and it appears this does not fall into planning permissions based on those checks.
- I'm hesitant to take it further with them because, because well, they are the council, and we all know councils can find problems when none exist. Given their checklist tells me I'm safe to proceed, I'll only take it to the actual planners if something concerning crops up.

2nd - The plan is to open up as much as I can of the rear wall of the garage, and put in large sliding doors to allow drive through access.
- The garage is a a standard pitched roof with beams, and wooden trusses.
- All of this work will be a builder and glazier/door company, possibly a structural engineer if the builder seems concerned.
- The garage will remain a garage, being solely for the purposes of storing and maintaining 2 classic cars. There is no conversion here.
- It will not be a habitable or working space, and for all intensive purposes remain a detached garage from the house, just now with sliding doors to the rear and an enclosed walkway to the rear house door.
- The idea is to allow vehicle access through the front to the rear of the property for a variety of reasons.
- The reason for sliding glass doors is to maximise the light into the garage for maintenance purposes, plus aesthetics.
- Looking into this again with the council, more of those pesky checklists suggest I don't need planning permission for this either, and other online checks suggest fensa is not required as its a detached garage. So again, I appear to have the green light, so I'll only take it to the actual planners if something concerning crops up.

Obviously there is a million details on the design and details I've had to leave out here, but has anyone done any similar? Tips and pointers of where it went right/wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• basic design.png
    basic design.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
In my village I’ve seen a few people who have put a lightweight Twin wall roof between their house and the fence, with walls made of just boarding and big doors / gates at the front.

They don’t have foundations just the original hard standing.

Although they aren’t proper rooms, they look proper useful, one person I’ve noticed even has a tumble drier abd washing machine in them.

What you are wanting to do sounds like a fancier version, seems a great idea.

A couple of things: the glass sliding doors will be a major cost.

Twin wall poly does make a lot of noise when raining especially when it’s very shallow pitch - the thicker you choose the better. If the area gets sun, choose one with solar control or it will get roasting in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back