Putting masking tape on top of new gloss/emulsion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I painted a picture rail with white gloss and next I'd like to paint the wall with a different paint so I need to cover the picture rail. The problem is that the gloss paint feels not exactly sticky but it does feel like there's some kind of adherence when you touch it. It's been almost 24 hours. Mum says that last time she had gloss on the stairs banister it stayed sticky like that for a week. Is it too soon to put masking tape on it?

Sponsored Links
Yes, mum is right (they usually are) it can take several weeks for gloss to dry thoroughly. Even when it starts to feels dry, the top layer will have just formed a skin which can easily pull off. If you are painting the wall with water based paint then you don't need masking tape, just need a steady hand, and to take your time. A picture rail is one of the easier things to paint up against.

As above it can take a while to fully cure, also if you have got gloss on the wall then give that gloss a light sanding before applying your emulsion, if you do get emulsion on the glossed work then simply wipe it off with a damp cloth and try again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back