Putting original electrics into conduit when decorating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

a friend has had some work done on their house and electrician told them its a new rewire as lighting circuits are not earthed and neither are the switches, only the sockets are.

It got me thinking mine is the same, and its quite a big job to rewire it floorboards up and chasing walls out.

Is it possible when I decorate each room before I re paint, patch, wall paper etc. to stick the original electrics behind the plaster into some conduit in prep for a rewire down the line, so when it gets done it will be less of a big job nocking holes in all the decorated rooms

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're going to do that you may as well replace the cable with T&E while you're at it!

Exactly

No point re using old cable.

The only thing you need to consider is if you can do a better job that an electrical all them years ago.

It might be easier to leave the existing electrics as they are, and put in new conduit drops adjacent, but blanked off until required later.

Sponsored Links
If your existing cabling is buried within plaster then your are at great risk of damaging the cabling when you try to dig out a channel.
As you are planning to decorate why not put that off for now and get the rewiring done first - then decorate.
As after you have decorated you will not want to rewire - because you have just decorated....

Rewire first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back