Putting plasterboard on ceiling and plastering ... how hard can it be?

jonbey I know a plasterer and he was telling me the very worst jobs are those where someone has gone wrong with the plastering. And it's always the wife that rings him!

The problem you have is ceiling plastering is the hardest part, if you have a 9 sm ceiling to do say it is very unlikely to go well first time due to the time pressure you will be under. You are also quite likely to get a lot of plaster on your head doing it first time.

Realistically you need to crack doing a 1 sm practise wall board first before even thinking about a ceiling. Plaster is very messy stuff and it can all go Pete Tong very quickly without a solid grounding.

Sponsored Links
I remember when my dad was doing the kitchen up. At age fourteen I was standing on the worktops/kitchen table holding the board up with him while he went around and nailed it to the beams. Did that with about 8 or 9 sheets all morning. He was always a tight-ar*e but the ceiling is still up as well as it was then.

I want to pay somebody to do it. Just need to get them in!
And Diynot plasters in Essex and available?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Boards are easy enough- 3 x 2 with a big crossbar on the end works well, also consider strategic lengths of batten screwed to the joists (with 1 screw and a spacer) so you can hoik the board up to the ceiling then swing the batten across to take the weight while you grab cordless & wiggle the thing to get it in the right place.
Plastering a ceiling- sod that, I know trades are busy at the moment but there'll be someone out there willing to take your money, I've 'plastered' a couple of walls- one was in an airing cupboard so didn't really matter, the other one was a bit more public- took a long time with an orbital sander to get it fit to use :)

Does that include them removing the radiator or would you do that?

I don't know the money side that well but if it is say a two man gang with 25 years experience then it could be the going rate.

If you are getting smooth level walls from someone with a good reputation then the quality may be worth paying for.

Not planning to remove the rad. I really don't mind if it's a bit rough near the edges, can live with that.
Not sure if that one a one man gang or not.

I'd say that price is about right. No idea if you could get it a bit cheaper in your area but I wouldn’t say it’s extortionate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back