Putting plasterboard on ceiling and plastering ... how hard can it be?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so all I need to do to finish my bedroom is put new board up on the ceiling (over the top of, well, underneath, the old board) and plaster and decorate.

I am hoping to get a plasterer in to do this. But this is proving harder than I thought (although hopefully will get somebody in).

Anyway, I have been looking at these contraptions and thinking, I could do put the board up myself.

Plastering, never done. I don't care if it is not perfect, by time the furniture and pictures are up, there'll only be a tiny bit of wall visible. Can a novice get an OK finish first time?

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd manage that ... maybe with smaller boards ...
but it's the actual plastering / skimming that I am most concerned about.

Consider taping and filling, like the Yanks. I'm personally not a fan of it but I think it's got to be the easiest way for a non plasterer to get a reasonable finish on a ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Don't try and plaster a ceiling on your first time plastering.
You'll get 1/4 of it done and swear so much and you'll just give up.

I did manage boarding a ceiling once, but never again!

It was a bathroom where I'd taken down some painted T&G and behind was a real mess so I ordered some 8 x 4 as I wanted as few joints as possible.
But what a pain! I was using a couple of lengths of 4 x 2 to prop it up then trying desperately to get some screws in to hold it in place. Nightmare!!
Should have done it in smaller pieces.

But I left the skimming to the plasterer.

I've double boarded all of my ceilings by myself. I used a 3x2 timber with a T on the end.
(I did use 6x3 boards though.)

Andy

Boarding is fairly easy with a friend. Some props will still be useful. I found some proper extending props very cheap in B&Q a couple of yesrs ago (e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Builders+Tools/sd140/Extension+Support+Prop/p66745 ) but 3x2 with a T-piece at the top is just as good.

By myself, I’ve done just one 8x4 board; the room was quite small so the others were all smaller pieces. I fixed a batten along the top of the wall, leaving a slot that I could get one long edge of the board into.

Cutting the boards in half would make it much easier, but of course harder to skim perfectly.

I use 6x3s and get it up in to position, then hold it up with 1 hand and grab the auto feed screwdriver from my belt and whack a couple of screws in then can let go and do the rest of the screws. I’ve only got a cheap (ryobi) auto feed screwdriver.
Skimming wise, I had the same dilemma 15 years ago, and after doing it fairly regularly since, I’m a bit better now. But if you’ve not got any interest in getting into plastering in future I’d give it a miss and get someone to skim it.

"auto feed screwdriver" - tell me more. Link?

Just google auto feed screw gun, they’re generally quite pricey but I bought a ryobi one for about £150 years ago. Definitely paid for itself

Can’t find the ryobi now but if I find a link I’ll post it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back