Putting up a blind on a wall with 52mm insulation boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeking to install a Venetian Blind over a Patio Door.
The wall I'm attaching to has a 52mm Insulation Board on it as the Builders only left a 100mil cavity instead of 150mil.
QUESTION:
What's the best way to hang the blind?
Am I better securing a wooden board to the wall and hanging the blind from that?

Sponsored Links
Here you go.

Attachments

• 20230221 Patio Door.jpg
    20230221 Patio Door.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 60
Don't Venetian blinds normally fix to a soffit rather than to the face of a wall? Or sometimes at the ends into the jambs? Does your existing blind face fix to the wall or will you need to get some suitable brackets or similar?

Sponsored Links
Venetian blinds often come with U shaped brackets so you can mount vertically inside, or horizontally outside the recess.

The fittings that came with it allow flexible fitting. I wouldn't be considering it if that weren't the case. My problem is more to do with the fact that I'm having to fasten it to a wall that has a 52mm Insulation Board on it. I don't want the weight of the blind to cause the board to break, hence my thought of fitting a board behind it and installing the blind onto the board - spreads the load.

You mean insulated plasterboad presumably? What's behind that? Masonry or a concrete or steel lintel? Is there a gap between the insulated plasterboard and the masonry/lintel?

Have you test drilled small diameter holes where you want to fix to check background .?

I've not drilled a test hole. It's a newbuild so I know there's Breeze Block between the plasterboard and lintel. As the plasterboard was installed using dry linging techniques I'm assuming there's a small gap between the plasterboard and blockwork. I'm hoping 100mm screws would be enough to hold a piece of 20mm board in place and I can then attach the blind to the board.

If you're happy with a board then fix with these every 150mm and no-nails - it won't come off. Don't attempt long screws, probably hit lintel or void in that location. The only thing about those board fixings is that they come with dome headed screws so may need countersinking into the wood and filling, also they might be a bit short for a 20mm board - if you get the plastic ones you can substitute a suitable length woodscrew instead.

Screenshot_20230223-082452.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back