Putting up a curtain track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was already a curtain track in my bedroom when we moved in five years ago. One of our friends who lives nearby said she would put up the curtains before we moved in. A few weeks later I noticed the curtain hooks weren't at regular intervals and so they were pulling the curtain track down and made a hole. I tried screwing it back up but the hole was too big. We also had a carpenter make us some wardrobes and he put up a long piece of wood that is about 2.5cm wide and attached the curtain track to that.

Now I want to redecorate my room but don't want the wood there. Would I be OK to fill the holes with normal polyfilla and drill more holes next to the old ones or do I have to get the deep gap polyfilla. Also is deep gap polyfilla OK for small holes and cracks as well or do I have to get the normal one as well.

Also do I have to have wood behind the curtain track or can I put it straight on the wall.

I do all the minor DIY in the house but this is the first time decorating on my own without my Dad's help since he died seven years ago, which is why I am asking on here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It is posible to not have the wood BUT the chances are that the "too big hole" and the carpenter's piece of wood are signs that there is a concrete lintol above the window. The only way to drill into concrete is with an SDS electric drill. So called hammer drills are totally useless. There is one at B+Q for £45. That will be fine for DIY. (y) Good luck and Welcome to DIYnot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back