Putting up ladder frame shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a ridiculously simple question, I know, but Im about to embark for the first time on that great adventure that is putting up a ladder frame shelf!

Obviously I need to fix a wooden batten to the wall. The wall is in a loft extension (before our time) so by rights the wall ought to be plasterboard but it doesn't seen to be so - my stud detector is telling me that most of the wall is solid - solid what I'm not quite sure (solid wood? It's close to the ceiling but on the bit of the wall that has been squared off before the slope of the roof starts if that makes sense).

So my queries are how to go about fixing the battens to the wall - what's the process?

Do I fit wallplugs in the wall in the correct place or do I not need wallplugs? If I don't fit wallplugs do I need to drill holes in the wall first anyway to prepare the holes for the screws to screw through the wood and into?

Should I drill through the wood first or can I just make a hole with a bradawl and screw through? I keep hearing that I should be careful the wood doesn't split but how can I stop it splitting?

Sorry those are such basic questions but I can't seem to find anything anywhere on the net that explains exactly what the process is!

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back