Putting up street light in back garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am putting up a new 230 volt street light in my back garden can i run the switch and power from the existing light switch in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
What wattage is it? And what type of lamp? Most induction lamps should be controlled by a timer, because they dont like being switched on and off frequently (and dont say "we wont do that", most kitchen switches are 2 or 3 gang, and most people dont know which switch does what after 20 years of having the same switch!)

What wattage is it? And what type of lamp? Most induction lamps should be controlled by a timer, because they dont like being switched on and off frequently (and dont say "we wont do that", most kitchen switches are 2 or 3 gang, and most people dont know which switch does what after 20 years of having the same switch!)
Hi steve,Thanks for getting back to me.The light is a three head street light it just says 230 volt in the instructions it says to use 25 watt max light bulbs.The switch in the kitchen is a single one could i run the new cable to this and replace it with a double one the light will only be used in summer nights for party or a bbq as i also have a pir security light.

The big question here is; Does the switch have a neutral (and for that matter, an earth connection as well)?

In a switch, blue or black wires do not necessarily mean neutral.

Are there some wires connected up in a separate connector block tucked away behind the switch faceplate?

You could possibly get the power from a socket circuit, via a fused spur unit, which would usually need something like a 3 or 5 amp fuse fitted.

Sponsored Links
The big question here is; Does the switch have a neutral (and for that matter, an earth connection as well)?

In a switch, blue or black wires do not necessarily mean neutral.

Are there some wires connected up in a separate connector block tucked away behind the switch faceplate?

You could possibly get the power from a socket circuit, via a fused spur unit, which would usually need something like a 3 or 5 amp fuse fitted.
No there are no blocks behind the faceplate.I think i will go with the fused spur unit it sounds like it is the safest option. Thanks very much for your time i really appreciate it.

Don't forget that this work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.
Assuming an underground feed, what type of cable are you looking at using?

Don't forget that this work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.
Assuming an underground feed, what type of cable are you looking at using?
Hi, It is going to be armoured cable up to 240 volt it will be buried approx 18inch under ground inside a plastic down spout and run up the wall covered in with galvanised metal the lenght of cable is about 10 metres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back