Putting Xmas lights on outside of house :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I know this isn’t exactly an electrics query, but it didn’t seem to fit anywhere else!)

So the missus has stipulated that she wants lights on the outside of the house this Xmas. Will want to put lights (probably icicle lights) along the parts marked in red below:

ABC6808C-22AC-4A89-99C3-9087890C006B.jpeg

So, few questions:

Obviously they only come in certain lengths, and I’m assuming too long is better then too short, so what happens to the excess length. Being lights, they’re not easy to hide

I’m assuming it will be best if the lower part is a separate string of lights?

Any recommendations on where to get lights? Have bought several sets over the years, but they never seem to last more than a year.

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
So glad I live i an bungalow. I think this will be my job next weekend!

Any excess cable can be doubled over, if you plan this well the amount of lights shouldn't look too uneven.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. Most people just run them among the bottom don't they? Unless you have a cherry picker.

Have bought several sets over the years, but they never seem to last more than a year.

Cheers all!

Really? Some of my sets are over 40 years old. May have to spend a little time occasionally finding dud or loose lamps but that is all.

Yes, separate sets for the two red lines. If the length isn't too much then you can lose a little at each hook.
You can cut most sets these days as they tend to be in sections - each section being series connected LEDs, and the sections in parallel. What you cut off won't be usable for anything else in practice. With a little care, you could probably cut one or more sections from one set (take them from the supply end) and insert them into another set - I think a lot of sets tend to use the same supply/effects generator for multiple lengths of set but you could only tell that after buying (or opening the packs on the shelf) and looking at the PSUs. And it shouldn't need saying, but the PSU (and possibly in-line affects unit) need to be indoors.
As above, do take care. I suspect there are lots of accidents around this time of year. Before we moved, there was a house down the street that did a wonderful display with some lights half up, a ladder at an angle, and a "man" (in hi-vis) hanging from the guttering with one hand. It was very good, and had us taking a second look before we realised it wasn't a real person hanging up there :eek:

Our daughter asked why we don't have lights outside, my wife's reply was that we wouldn't be able to see them!.

Probably why we've been together 20 years..

I managed to avoid it for another week!

Our daughter asked why we don't have lights outside, my wife's reply was that we wouldn't be able to see them!.

Apply some lateral thinking, your neighbour across the street, you put your lights on his house, you can then see your lights and the neighbour pays for the electricity. Be kind and return the favour,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back